Feb 11, 2008, 15:15
You called?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Stupid old fart
Feb 11, 2008, 15:18
shanshee_allures wrote:
Found the speech to be erodite and these things ususally are but not all that practical or relevant. Said it was my grip right from the start.

So your gripe from the start was because you found the speech impractical and irrelevant?

Despite not knowing about the speech?

Personally, I thought your gripe was the fact that women would be discriminated against under Sharia... something discussed at length in the speech, but misrepresented by the media.

Williams gave a speech on legal theory to the British Law Society. In that context, I found it incredibly relevant myself, even if you didn't.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 11, 2008, 15:23
I don't think you have any right to assume what I did and didn't know about, it's quite rude actually.

I had several things to say regarding this, and I write about them as others did, cos his words had ramifications.
x
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Feb 11, 2008, 15:32
Feb 11, 2008, 15:30
shanshee_allures wrote:
I don't think you have any right to assume what I did and didn't know about, it's quite rude actually.

I had several things to say regarding this, and I write about them as others did, cos his words had ramifications.
x

I apologise if I was rude.

But I don't feel I made any assumptions, shanshee. I took your own words at face value. That is all. And when I quoted those words back to you, you openly denied the fact that you wrote them.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 11, 2008, 15:34
Where? Still confused there!
I don't deny anything I posted!
I never once said I did not read anything! Or even that I did! Show me where I did!
I said 'he spoke in soundbites' or soemthing and despite the legnths to which his speech went I found nothing at all of any substance in what he said!
x
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Feb 11, 2008, 15:52
Feb 11, 2008, 15:47
shanshee_allures wrote:
Where? Still confused there!
I don't deny anything I posted!

OK...
----------------------------------

Feb 11, 2008, 09:56 (response to machineryelf)
shanshee_allures wrote:
As for intellectual debate...bring it on sure, where it exists. But I reitterate, what exactly has he said save a few phrases? A few phrases loaded with suggestion without any real content.

Later...
Feb 11, 2008, 14:30
shanshee_allures wrote:
I watched him on C4 news and took time to look at several video clips before addressing this.

No mention of reading the speech. Why didn't you simply come out and say, "yes I read it"?

Then...
Feb 11, 2008, 14:58
shanshee_allures wrote:
Well maybe you're wrong. Maybe I have read it but didn't find anything relevant in it, how do you actually know?

(I note you said "maybe" you read it. Did you? And if so, why not just say so?)

My response...
Feb 11, 2008, 15:00
grufty jim wrote:
Ummm... because you just said so?

(I then directly quoted your initial response to machineryelf -- see above)

Your immediate response...
shanshee_allures wrote:
No, never said that at all. Please find where I did. I said 'eh no, I hav
d this and that blah blah' meaning I was not coming from a totally blind viewpoint. 'Said nothing else.[/quote]
(my emphasis)

----------------------------------

I don't know how to interpret that last statement of yours as anything other than a clear denial that you'd said what I quoted you as saying. Does anyone else? I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but my post was almost exclusively a quote of yours. And your response to that post was "no, never said that at all".

I'm confused. If that's not meant to be a denial, what is it?

EDIT: Don't know why that last quote broke. Anyways, I'm going to a gig tonight and have to get ready and leave soon. So that's my last word on this for now.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 11, 2008, 15:53
I find this very sad and boring. I can't imagine why you'd want to go to such legnths to prove yourself right here and basically say I'm lying, but if you want to a few posts back I said we'd got our wires cross, please check my edited response, for clarification (and did you?)
Yes, I did responde to Machineryelf by saying 'a few soundbites' (whatever).
I think you took that to mean I hadn't read anything, I then said I didn't say that, and I meant the other and it got a bit mixed up..
Off to pick the child up now. Enjoy.

x
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 11, 2008, 15:55
shanshee_allures wrote:
I find this very sad and boring. I can't imagine why you'd want to go to such legnths to prove yourself right here and basically say I'm lying, but if you want to a few posts back I said we'd got our wires cross, please check my edited response, for clarification (and did you?)
I think you took that to mean I hadn't read anything, I then said I didn't say that, and I meant the other and it got a bit mixed up..

x

I wasn't doing it to prove you a liar. I was doing it because not to do so would suggest that I was being unfair and arguing from bad faith (which I was not).

Also, because you said it was rude of me, and I wanted to demonstrate that I wasn't being rude, merely taking you at face value.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Feb 11, 2008, 16:03
grufty jim wrote:
shanshee_allures wrote:

x

I wasn't doing it to prove you a liar. I was doing it because not to do so would suggest that I was being unfair and arguing from bad faith (which I was not).

Also, because you said it was rude of me, and I wanted to demonstrate that I wasn't being rude, merely taking you at face value.

Compulsive overbearing lastword having wanker. You have definitively proved that intellect is nothing without common decency. I'm outta here.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 11, 2008, 16:06
dodge one wrote:
Compulsive overbearing lastword having wanker. You have definitively proved that intellect is nothing without common decency. I'm outta here.

Don't bother leaving mate. I don't spend my time on message-boards where personal insults are thrown around like that. It's all yours.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index