Edited Feb 09, 2008, 14:11
Duplicate post
Feb 09, 2008, 14:09
Duplicate post. Doh!
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Stupid old fart
Feb 09, 2008, 14:22
No it isn't shansee. Sorry, but I don't see where you're coming from here. Nobody from "a rival faith" would be dictating anything. Williams isn't saying "only the parts of Sharia *I* agree with". He's saying "only the parts of Sharia that are compatible with the local laws of this mostly secular nation".

That's a very different proposition, and your statement is either deliberately or accidentally misrepresenting it.

[/quote]

Eh, is it so different? You are basically concurring with the fact that in this context Sharia law is subject to clearance from what is acceptable here.

I know Williams hasn't become the king of Britain or nowt, I thought depsite the fuzziness of my wording you'd underatand that's not what I meant.

But it still amounts to Muslims being told they can have their Sharia laws only if they comply with and do not cotravene ours. And some might resent that. Extremsits might demand all or nowt, and moderates might find it too arbitrary to bother with. Isn't your chosen church all you need for spiritual guidance?
Simple.

And I bet there still won't be any women appointed in these courts (and of course homoesexuals can just forget it1), and I'd hop that alone would make it unacceptable to you or any well thinking person here.
x
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 14:25
shanshee_allures wrote:
Eh, is it so different? You are basically concurring with the fact that in this context Sharia law is subject to clearance from what is acceptable here.

I know Williams hasn't become the king of Britain or nowt, I thought depsite the fuzziness of my wording you'd underatand that's not what I meant.

But it still amounts to Muslims being told they can have their Sharia laws only if they comply with and do not cotravene ours. And some might resent that. Extremsits might demand all or nowt, and moderates might find it too arbitrary to bother with. Isn't your chosen church all you need for spiritual guidance?
Simple.

And I bet there still won't be any women appointed in these courts (and of course homoesexuals can just forget it1), and I'd hop that alone would make it unacceptable to you or any well thinking person here.
x

Look, I'm not supporting Sharia, OK?

I just don't know how ANY right-thinking person can say that Jews are allowed to have their own civil courts so long as they do not contravene local laws (including laws of sexual equality), but Muslims cannot.

If you can explain why you think that's OK, then please do.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 14:30
Did I say I tohught it was ok? If the Jewish courts are excluding women as Sharia courts would, then that too is unacceptable.

Please inform me if that's the case if you know it to be.

Does the Jewish faith make any subdjugation of women? For Islam certainly does, like it or not, and no way can there be any leverage for that to worsen.
Please consider the words of those working in Muslim women's groups.

Hell I think it's retatred as fuck that up here you can't buy alcohol,until 12.30 on a Sunday (coz of stupid arse presbo laws).

Religion should never inform law, I stick by that one to the death!
x
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 14:32
Let's just leave it. We're getting nowhere with this.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 14:34
Eh, I think you mean I'm not agreeing with you! I'm happy with and stick by my opinions.
Thanks for the exchange yet again!

x
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 14:36
I'll weigh in with a guess. Has the jewish community assimilated itself more succesfully? I would also surmise that a self contained judicial system within a ethnic community, would at best be able to pass judement on a misdemeanor offense. Felonies would bring down the full weight of the state. It does come back to 'What is a pre-existing culture {in it's current equilibrium} willing to accept?'.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 14:39
shanshee_allures wrote:
Eh, I think you mean I'm not agreeing with you!

Excuse me?

What I actually meant was that we had been round the same circle several times.

Fuck's sake, the incredible snideness that I've seen on this forum lately really makes me despair.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 14:44
No snidiness Grufty not from me, sorry if you read it that way.
And I will never resort to any base aggression here either.

x
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 14:45
Bit Grufty...Jim?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index