26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Wind farms are shite - more evidence
Aug 22, 2007, 00:42
Lupus wrote:
If windturbines is such great idea, why not put them up where they can't threaten any sensitive eco-system or other "systems" worth protecting: in the cities & suburbs!

Well, there are certain issues with erecting wind turbines near high buildings (the turbulence created by the wind being channeled around buildings can lead to a dramatic loss in turbine efficiency).

That said, it's not an insoluble problem and wind farms can indeed by erected in low-lying suburbs and non-highrise districts of cities. This has already been done with some success in northeast London, and I agree we should do more of it.

Personally I favour utilising existing farmland which tends to already have the necessary access and distribution infrastructure and rarely has the high-building / turbulence problem.

Your point about draining bogland or situating them in highly sensitive ecological areas with no existing infrastructure (necessitating the construction of access roads) is completely valid though.

As I've said elsewhere though, that's a problem with the people planning the windfarms, not with the windfarms themselves.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index