Wind farms are shite - more evidence

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Re: depressed about wind farms now
Aug 14, 2007, 08:20
We'll have to leave out-of-box thinking to smarter individuals than me, I'm afraid, I'm more yer practical type!

In the UK, all our coal-burning & nuclear power stations are reaching the end of their useful lives. Many of them are way beyond the time they were designed to operate over. What do you suggest we replace them with, or are you saying that you think we can reduce our energy consumption by 65% over the next 10 years?

The point the Guardian article was making was that windpower is detrimental to the landscape, & misleadingly correlated MW with land area. Compare with the open-cast lignite mines in europe, or ask the Radley lake protestors about what didcot is doing to their landscape. Drive past Trawsfynydd in North Wales whilst remembering that hideous eyesore hasn't generated a single watt in over 16 years (without resorting to anti-nuke knee-jerk crap, such as the well-documented exceptionally high levels of cancer in the traws area. Google it if you're really interested...)

It could be argued that are visually obtrusive. But they are environmentally benign, & tread lightly on the landscape. So long as they are implimented responsibly, where's the problem?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index