Wind farms are shite - more evidence

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CraigR
CraigR
479 posts

Re: depressed about wind farms now
Aug 17, 2007, 14:32
"I had rather hoped to move the debate along from nimby-ism and anti-nuclear knee-jerks"

I am very, very sorry..........

"the debate about renewable resources is not under question - and please, as a doctoral level landscape archaeologist I know about landscape, peat bogs, land use history and the fact that there are NO natural landscapes left anywhere on the planet - every inch has been largely affected by human action".

Oooooh get her.........!

"I was trying to provoke some 'thinking outside the box' debate beyond the usual human trait of if 'it's broke - build some new bigger stuff'!"

What box. Everyone keeps banging on about this fucking box. Where is it? Do I need to take a 'helicopter view' to see it?

"New, massive industrial installations of any kind are not making individuals responsible for consumption. we need to be thinking about individual and community-scale production, but first REDUCTION."

As previously pointed out, reduction is indeed an issue which needs to be addressed, but how so? I always thought people were held 'responsible' by their account billing, you pay for what you use. I am currently responsible for the sustainability and environmental issues on a large site which my company is rebuilding over the next 5 years. The new builds going up are BREEAM top of the class, all the M & E is the most energy efficient available etc, so how do I continue to reduce energy consuption when I have hit a bottom line? You see reduction is finite too!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index