Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ron
ron
706 posts

Edited May 29, 2008, 01:01
Re: Monbiot - a real head
May 29, 2008, 00:54
our boy george is stepping up the intensity...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2044737/John-Bolton-escapes-citizen's-arrest-at-Hay-Festival.html

and they wonder why a man behave like this
behave like he wants to feel the land is his
but I heard Mama crying in my deepest dreams,
Mama tooold me to do it
this is mot what it seems
there are more of us a-Commin'
there are more like me
messed up - messed up with nothing to lose

x
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited May 29, 2008, 07:46
May 29, 2008, 07:36
Sort of agree with you there

What Mon Bee Oh does not realise or chooses to dismiss is that for some women breast feeding isn't an option, which does not fit in with his agenda at all here.

In my case, my breastmilk just did not happen, dispite every nurse and health visitor I saw telling me the little un was latched on properly etc.
Babe was losing weight big style, formula saved her life.
Bit condescending of him to assume he can speak about this with any real authority.

And how does a woman in a third world country who barely has got the nutrients to keep herself alive do the same? Or one in our Western world who isn't well enough to do so? Use milk from a bank? Not everyone likes the idea. Can make a mum feel like even more a of a failure.

Every woman *wants* to breastfeed, it's a natural instinc, an ideal, so I think he should but out of this one TBH.

My daugher starts school this year, and is as healthy an beautifully obtuse as the rest of em, well more so;-)

EDIT:
**Women greatly overestimated the difficulties of producing milk**

Oh is that right? He can speak for 'women' now can he?

Does he even know about those labour wards where women after caserean more or less have no ability to breastfeed for days and as a consequence any milk they do have 'dries up'?

And perhpas he has chosen his statistcis well. There will be as many children bottle fed by lazy mums who have grown up to be perfeclty healthy, but we won't hear about them.

Ah what's the point:-(

x
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

May 29, 2008, 08:13
shanshee_allures wrote:

EDIT:
**Women greatly overestimated the difficulties of producing milk**

Oh is that right? He can speak for 'women' now can he?

Does he even know about those labour wards where women after caserean more or less have no ability to breastfeed for days and as a consequence any milk they do have 'dries up'?

And perhpas he has chosen his statistcis well. There will be as many children bottle fed by lazy mums who have grown up to be perfeclty healthy, but we won't hear about them.

He's not too popular with anarchists either: Muppet 1
Muppet 2
(links may not work as they're Google caches)

There's also some concern about the shift to the middle ground by Reclaim the Streets and Earth First since his involvement with them (and that is despite his claiming that RTS were part of the problem and not the solution at the start of the decade.

To be honest, I'm a bit wary of him.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

May 29, 2008, 08:18
Thanks. Gonna get myself another coffee and have a look:-)

x
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited May 29, 2008, 14:52
May 29, 2008, 11:13
Apects of this piece bother me.
He mentions Norway compared to over here.
He concludes himself from the low 2% statistic of bottle feeders that it's down to the fact that there are better provisions for maternity leave.
Couldn't it also be down to the fact that there are more teen pregnancies here?
Teens haven't got the confidence to feed, especially if they have little or no homelife (a sad truth).

Also, babies even if given breastmilk from a bottle can develop gastro problems - it's down to winding em properly.
I bet he doesn't get evangelical about bottles in that context.

And as for 'women under 24' believing their bodies will be wrecked, how many of those are teens or women who haven't been pergnant yet?
Many of us know if breastfeeding goes well, we end up with bigger boobies and smaller waistlines! It's a great calorie burner.

EDIT: And the myth/fact aspect of the survey (6) is rather unedifying.
Where does the science behind the 'myth' parts come from?

But it does not work for everyone, as I posted before, and instead of granstanding against the multi-nationals (totally agree labelling ahould neve be misleasing, but he should have left it at that), a bit of a more discursive slant and a bit of senitivity really wouldn't go ammis from the guy.

x
Wiggy
1696 posts

May 30, 2008, 12:21
Just to add - as a recent new dad, it occurs to me that the aggressive and hurried "encouragement" to breastfeed, no doubt with a target in mind and a probable fine for the Trust if they don't meet said target, which we experienced in St Michaels, Bristol must surely be counter-productive - they very nearly ruined it for us anyway.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited May 30, 2008, 12:45
May 30, 2008, 12:43
Yes, bang on.

I got that. Soon as she was born they virtually shoved her face in my boobies (sorry) and I was supposed to know what I was doing, as off they went. She spent the time in hospital screaming with hunger, stuck on me like a bloody limpet, and eventually (probably coz they were bored with it) said they would bottle feed her for me, I hadn't slept for days.

I thought formula would poison her I'd been so shoved the breastfeeding line, but she couldn't feed from me. I was just so confused, hormones everywhere etc.

Re my babe and her weight loss (oh and we had to travel 16 miles just to get her WEIGHED because our local baby unit was closed), I eventually saw one Indian doctor chap who you could tell arrived here with a bit more old school common sense than alot of them I saw.

He explained to me that there is a phenomenon amongst some women where the breastmilk, after the watery stuff goes away (what's it called again?) for whatever reason does not happen, or it happens in teeny amounts. In some villages, breastfeeding is shared, not in tune with what we want here of course, but hey - someone understood me.

Some nursing animals have the same woes it seems, and pups/kittens etc die as a result.

Of course formula milk shouldn't make fasle claims (nothing should), but I felt a failure enough without any more being laid on it.

Said enough now:-)

x
ron
ron
706 posts

Jun 06, 2008, 03:08
fauny fergus wrote:
To be honest, I'm a bit wary of him.

oh no george... say it ain't so...

i'd be watchin that bansky guy too...

x
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2008, 05:48
Jun 06, 2008, 05:48
ron wrote:

x

Sweat jesus! You nearly made me watch some foo fighters

I'd better try and recover with a bit of Inner City Unit and maybe a little bit more...
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Jun 12, 2008, 21:31
fauny fergus wrote:
There's also some concern about the shift to the middle ground by Reclaim the Streets and Earth First since his involvement with them

I'm not sure what you mean there.

Firstly, I don't know what shift you mean.

Beyond that, are you really suggesting that Monbiot's had some sort of steering influence on those (dis)organisations?

I don't quite see how any individual can do that with unorganised, non-hierarchical cell-structure groups who are, in reality, less of a group and more of a convenient banner used by different people who share common aims.

I think it's harder still to do it with Reclaim the Streets given that they haven't existed in any form for five years or more.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index