Why haven't we had a rant about Mugabe

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: Why haven't we had a rant about Mugabe
Feb 28, 2002, 15:02
Absolutely! No question (in my mind) that he’s handing out favours to mates, and trying to buy a few votes. Redistribution is clearly vital, but there is no way Mugabe can do it equitably. This does raise the issue of how it CAN be done equitably, which is a biggie, because although the land should just be seized and the old colonialists told to fuck of, there’s no way the UK, or most other western countries would accept that – that would be far worse than just killing a few of your opponents. I think the west is having to face up to having to do SOMETHING just because they know that the same issue is going to kick off in South Africa, and they are not going to be able to ignore it then. Because that is when it is going to start to threaten some serious western interests
And as for what you say about AIDS, well again absolutely! Well almost, there is a very valid point (as you intimate) that drugs are not the only answer. Dealing with appalling poverty also makes a massive difference to the length and quality of life someone with AIDS will achieve. But Mugabe isn’t really doing anything about that either.
I’m not entirely sure it is as simple as ‘power corrupts’, but that sure aint far off the mark!

U-Know! Forum Index