43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Feb 03, 2014, 12:34
Re: Pinochet:- one rotten bastard..
Feb 03, 2014, 12:32
Really illuminating points, man! I'm right with you with all of that. Especially about how a large number of atheists deal with their atheism with all the cultish zeal of a born-again Christian, swapping one set of religious terminology for that of another. The Jungian idea that some mythos in your life is essential I also agree with. I'm a devout atheist myself, but one who believes that the pageantry of spirituality is an extremely useful way of pumping some extra-sensual joy into your life.

I definitely think we label people evil as a way of separating themselves from us, turning them into a subspecies, rather than facing the much more harrowing possibility that they are human, all too human. It means we can skip the matter of exploring how they became that way and end them with a sound mind. People are not just suddenly spawned on the spot fully-formed. They are an aggregation of events and influences. The notion that there but for the Grace of God go I is a fucking terrifying one when you think about it, so let's chalk it down to them being evil and leave it at that.

I want to talk a bit more about the gospels, about how a line like "A camel has a greater chance of going through a needle's eye than a rich man has of getting into heaven" is undercut by some of his less-talented disciples' proselytising, but I've got to go meet a few people. Might pick this up later. Ta for the post!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index