U-Know! Forum »
Peace In Our Time

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Genereth
33 posts

Re: Peace In Our Time
Jan 17, 2006, 18:25
Worth remembering too that both Saddam & Osama were helped by the CIA. Saddam was in fact a CIA operative for a while. We (Brit & US) armed both Saddam & the Taliban in the 1980's against our then 'enemies' USSR & Iran. When Saddam gassed the curds, the US and Britain were still selling him weapons and did nothing to condemn the atrocities at the time. You reap what you sow. What will we be reeping in 15 years time after the current conflict I wonder.
jshell
333 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 18:30
Ah, here we agree :-) Saddam was pissed coz the US prompted him to start the Iran/Iraq war and would support him. Then he found that old Col Ollie North was also supplying Iran with arms (Contra/Iran arms scandal) Like your pal holding your jacket whilst you fight and kicking you in the nads himself. My shit-kickin' Texan colleagues hate it when I bring that up.
Genereth
33 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 18:34
Crazy innit....arming both sides in a conflict. That is until you realize the profits that can be made from such a venture!
jshell
333 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 18:40
Mental! But then as I said, I work with Texans, even the rest of Americans hate them. Double-dealing, back-stabbing, insincere, duplicitous people. Still, they have a saying: 'an armed society is a polite society' :-)
Genereth
33 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 18:44
Dont mess with Texas! - I heard a story that on the morning of 9.11, after the world had seen the twin towers destroyed, many workers in Texas went home, got their guns and went back to work, feeling safe from attack. Happiness is a warm gun ...yeah.
jshell
333 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 18:53
That's a good one! I worked with a guy called Mike from Texas, actually not too bad a dude! Anyway, I asked what he did for the Millenium celebrations and he replied in all sincerity that his family, neighbours and himself were down buying more guns just in case! He asked what I did and I replied that I was having one hell of a party, getting pissed and laid - just like the rest of the world, oh, except Texans.... Gotta laff.
Genereth
33 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 19:08
its funny innit that the thing that America has in common with countries like Afghanistan, Iraq and countless African nations in the grip of civil war is that the civilian population are all armed to the teeth. I had an argument with an american bloke called Jim about gun controll. He said the catchphrase 'guns dont kill people, people kill people!' - they like that one - 'but no one ever died from falling downstairs in a bungalo' - I replied - I must admit I confused myself a bit with that analogy and its not quite as catchy. But If there are no stairs no one's going to break their neck falling down them. No guns - no gun crime. Get rich quick or dye tryin' - no thanks - live long and prosper more like.
jshell
333 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 19:20
You confused me too! However, it's back to the nuke problem, you think that if someone else is armed and you're not, then your OK? Wish I lived where you live. I grew up in a housing scheme in Glasgow, believe me when I say that people without ability to defend themselves are otherwise known as 'victims'! Whether that be bare hands or weapons. These bad people cannot be judged like normal thinking folks, they will hurt you lots, just coz they can! The problem with the gun problem in America is that the authorities don't enforce the available laws to prevent gun crime. Like the hysteria about air-guns here just now, there is actually legislation in the UK that says threatening anyone with an airgun is punishable by up to 10 years inside. Put a few Neds away for years over airgun mis-use and the problem will pretty much dry up.
Genereth
33 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 19:29
Ive been a 'victim' myself a few times in my teenage years. I was a bit scrawny then and as you say not able to protect myself. Soon taught me to keep my moth shut & eyes to the floor! - anyway ....nukes ....Christ it just freaks me out the possibility of total and utter destruction on a global scale. The ammount of money spent on these things that just sit there while crazy world leaders, advised buy just as crazy military men ponder with their thumbs hovering over the button.

Reading stories from Hiroshima & Nagasaki makes you realise its just not worth it. I really believe that we have more in common with the people our leaders tell us are our 'enimies' than we have things that divide us.
jshell
333 posts

Jan 17, 2006, 19:42
I used to worry about it, but no more! I've got heaps of other things to worry about that are much closer to home and if them nukes do fly, then it'll be over quick! The things closer to home are much, well, closer to home!!!! I worry more about crime, an un-trustworthy government, living in a police state etc, oh and paying one fuck of a mortgage!

Just ask any ex-far east serving serviceman about Hiroshima. It saved many lives of our allies and countrymen. The Japanese are mental and would have fought till the last one was standing. Not sure the 2nd one was needed though at Nagasaki
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index