Merrick....

79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Merrick....
Nov 04, 2005, 18:20
Er, I haven't actually got angry about any of this, and I apologise if anything has come across as anger. None of it was intended as such in the least.

As you rightly say, if we write something here we should be prepared to explain ourselves, to defend ourselves against intelligent detractors and to admit we were wrong if we are shown to be so. I relish doing these things; I get to chew around ideas, see perspectives I hadn't thought of myself, and I get clearer about the things I believe to be right and get to jettison things I'm wrong about.

Do please put any couterarguments or questions. However, please do not accuse me of not answering points that I've either already answered or were never made in the first place.

I did answer your points.

To reiterate; it is not a baseless assumption that Eno sold Music For Airports, it is a based assumption. The basis is that Eno is the sole composer, performer, producer and the owner of the record label; thus it is highly likely he owns the rights to the piece.

It's not 'a small bit of research' to verify this 100%, which is why I didn't do it, but included it with clear explanation of what I was sure of, what I wasn't, and why.

It was included alongside verified parts because Eno's Orange ads were the initial impetus to write the piece and, for the reasons I have given to you more than once, it is very unlikely that he did not choose to sell it. Were that the case, he would be very likely to have spoken out by now.

"He didn't say why he thinks he has the right to tell people what they can and can't do with their intellectual property."

Indeed I didn't say why I think that.

That's because I don't think that, and have already specifically said so to you earlier on this thread.

To reiterate: I do not question the right of an artist to sell their work. I do question the integrity and morality and creative worth of artists who do so, and the article explains why in quite some detail.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index