Merrick....

79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PlateOfFood
PlateOfFood
141 posts

Re: Merrick....
Nov 03, 2005, 15:03
I went on the London Underground yesterday for the first time in years. I always hated the amount of advertising down there when I lived in London, it’s a bombardment of psychic pollution, like being screamed at by thousands of lying cocksuckers who all seem to think that you are an idiot.

Anyways...

I couldn’t fucking believe it, the damn things are alive now, all the posters down the escalators had become plasma screens, flicking and flashing and insulting me. I thought that was pretty bad, until I got to the platform and saw an ad for carlsberg or carling or some shit lager. It was about the system that the Underground had in place for buskers. That they were now licensed and approved, that they weren’t being paid so please be generous, and how this scheme was brought to you by carlsberg. Somehow... I can’t believe that it’s gone this far, but, somehow people who are singing for pennies have become branded and used as promotional tools. Without payment. Fucking hell.

What always rankles is when people who make adverts hark on about talent and the quality of their work. It’s like they haven’t realised that if you have a shit and you tell yourself that it’s a really good shit, then that’s all well and good but it’s still a shit and always will be.

For me the whole problem of advertising is that it has crossed the line from telling people about a product, to trying to stimulate a non-existent desire for a product in people who don’t want or need it, by exploiting and increasing their psychological insecurities and fears. As the Buddhist would have it, true happiness only comes from freedom from desires, so the artificial creation of desires is, by definition, a source of misery.

(pardon my ranting)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index