anti-vivisectionists on medication?

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Re: anti-vivisectionists on medication?
Sep 08, 2005, 11:32
You are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater Vybes. Whatever our provocative friend intended, the merits or otherwise of the discussions have still served to inform us.

My intention (and I would suggest most others as well) is to learn something from others with different views and experiences. The fact that one or more participants may be unwilling to learn anything is their loss only!

p.s Keep up the surfing and bungee jumping ;-)
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 11:34
>>thanks for your thoughtful response though. more than i managed to get out of any of the anti-vivsectionists on HH!

??? - I think quite a few people made thoughtful responses on this thread.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 12:30
Hmmm I'm with you there Cleira!!

xx
BSSM Steiner
63 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 13:25
nice!

so not only to i get totally non-thought-out responses like 'animal experiments are wrong. end of story' i get personal attacks.

i've only started two threads on HH. one was about the non-availability of the second brain donor album and resulted in a very fruitful music-swapping freindship with a guy in oz, and the other was about fox hunting. in that instance, i didn;t stand back, i participated in the discussion. seems like some people want HH to be a comatose cluster-fuck where we all tell each other how wonderful our opinions are.

lame.
BSSM Steiner
63 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 13:29
i'd love to hear arguments from other angles. all i've heard so far is platitiudes and rants. i've actually yet to hear from anyone holding the position i was interested in - ie. an anti-vivisectionist who uses medicines tested on animals and thinks there's no moral conflict.

by the way, if you don't want heated debate on u-know, what do you want?
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 13:42
>>an anti-vivisectionist who uses medicines tested on animals and thinks there's no moral conflict.

Don't think you'll ever find one of them.
BSSM Steiner
63 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 13:46
isn't the only way to persuade pharmaceutical companies to stop, or at least limit, animal testing to boycott their products? i realise that some people are relying on these drugs to stay alive, but i wonder what the alternative is.

the campaigns by the alf just result in the research being moved overseas where conditions for the animals are even worse.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 13:50
"the campaigns by the alf just result in the research being moved overseas where conditions for the animals are even worse."

I totally agree with you. But I hope you are not classing all anti-vivisectionists as being members of the alf! As I can assure you they aren't!!! I certainly don't believe in digging up bodies or attacking people and blowing up vehicles!! ;o)

I've given my view below which has been moaned at as being too simplistic.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for it's a very emotive topic and not one I think you'll get a definite yes or a no too!! :o)

xxxx
BSSM Steiner
63 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 13:50
this thread was inspired by the stories in the press about the alf and their incredibly hard line absolutist approach to the issue, whereby they'd ruin the lives of anyone connected to animal testing, and everyone connected to those people, even in the most tangental way. the alf seemed to think that having anything to with animal testing waranted total destruction of a persons life, apart from actually taking the medicine itself, which was fine. why aren;t the alf attacking people who pop into boots to pick up their inhalers?

btw - i'm not looking for a spokesperson for the alf on hh, i just thought someone might have an insight.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Sep 08, 2005, 13:52
I can certainly give you some links to organisations who may be able to answer your questions, if you would like answers to your questions!! And would be happy to do so.

We're not all alf members you know and some don't like to be tarred with the same brush!! ;o)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index