Four more years?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: the power of nightmares
Nov 05, 2004, 11:23
Well, who doesn't, although I suspect it's got more to do with whatever fictional C19th eschatology his particular cult believes in. Anyway, why not aim it at the sun just to make sure?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Four more years?
Nov 05, 2004, 13:42
Republicans.

Whatever, I'm sure they've all realised the amount of hate they've caused made them lose any friends they've had outside of themselves.

Maybe I shouldn't be hateful y'know. Maybe the people who voted for Bush aren't the hateful Bill O'Reilly type or the Michael Savage type. But the only Bush supporters you hear about are the mean spirited ones -- they're the ones who talk the loudest. Maybe that's why there's no joy for Bush supporters in spite of the victory. If the Republican party just put an end to this display of hatred and intolerance, you wouldn't have all this shrill monkey-shouting or whatever from the other side (as you were talking about.)

I have the feeling nobody is going to be happy for awile -- on both sides of the issue.
psychedelicat
8 posts

Re: Something you want to tell us?
Nov 05, 2004, 15:52
I'm 27.
Lawrence
9547 posts

But...
Nov 05, 2004, 22:06
Looking back on it it's pretty hilarious! I worked today as well and what kept me going was keeping a sense of humor. Wednesday night I was talking to my lover about it and he said "Well what'd ya expect them to do, have silly grins on their faces just 'cos Bush won?" Remembering that I had to think what if it did happen? It would've been a laugh riot!

Actually it was also kinda funny that anybody who did seem to smile the last two days seemed to be in a frozen rictus if you got close to them...
ron
ron
706 posts

Re: Get over your sorry asses
Nov 05, 2004, 22:31
when the temps go below zero in madison, 'n u old gits can't afford the heat bill, u'll be lining up around the corner for free "fuck bush" sweatshirts... hahahaha....
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Not wanting to draw conclusions...
Nov 05, 2004, 23:47
... but all the same, it does kind of, maybe, sort of, vaguely have a bearing on the discussion.

http://attenuation.net/files/iq.htm

Not saying it *means* anything.
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Re: it is all in the bible
Nov 06, 2004, 11:14
"Kerry did NOT ever "support gay marriage." He merely said that perhaps a constitutional ammendment banning gay marriage was unnecessary."

that was enough in the bigotted eyes of most americans to go against such an 'immoral' beast. 30,000 fliers were given out in some 'evangelical' states mentioning the word GAY prior to the election. If you hear middle america speaking about jesus, it is hard to believe Kerry could have EVEN dared *mention* those words (and stem cell research and abortion) in his campaign. Even Bush clearly stated that Kerry was (laugh with me!) so far far far to the left!! C'mon, Kerry would be a radical right-winger even in Italy!

I dont think the word WAR had much of an effect. after all, it is just another bloody war of many which the US have produced. And it is fighting the right people - the Muslims.

"In fact Kerry went out of his way to avoid talking about "moral issues" completely."

that was his biggest mistake, it seems that even americans themselves do not even know what is happening in their own country - i heard today there are 35 million evangelical christians alone (and growing). That's why even Black America is shifting sides.

Religious fundamentalism is taking over your society, and fast, dangerously approaching alter-ego examples like Iran!
Lugia
970 posts

Nov 06, 2004, 14:57
Some of us over here DO realize this. But the problem is, there's no reasoning with fanatics. As the fundie component grows within the USA, and also as it gets more power and political clout, it gets more entrenched and even if you COULD reason with them, you're not apt to get anywhere on simple rational logic alone.

One of the big worries is that what Margaret Atwood wrote about in "The Handmaid's Tale" could come to pass, perhaps not in the whole country, but in some parts (the South, Texas, etc) which are more inclined to 'drink the Kool-aid'. Should that happen, the damage caused would likely be irreparable, unlike the tenuous state of reconstruction following the Civil War in the 1860s. It would spell the end of the United States as it exists presently...but then, a sizable chunk of the fanatics wouldn't care as long as it allowed them to create their nightmare fantasy of a "Judeo-Christian state". To them, that would be the 'land of the chosen', and everyone else would be cursed and damned, etc.

When you look at what's going on in Texas at present, you're seeing a situation where the extremists are gradually consolidating their political control via alterations of legislative maps, etc. Prior to this, the educational system had already been significantly changed via the addition of far-righters to the Texas School Board and other such bodies. And then you may ask, "how could this happen?". Well...it's happening gradually, in ways where the 'opposition' can be marginalized to a point of powerlessness.

It is sort of like Iran, perhaps...or when all of this is 'completed', it will be. But the methodology is sort of a 'soft' version of what gave us Mussolini, Hitler, Stalin, and many other tyrants cut from the same cloth. Combine that fanaticism with the fanaticism inherent in evangelical fundamentalist Christianity, and you have one potent cocktail. Those in power will be drunk on it quicker than anything anyone's ever seen. And the rest of the world will be having the hangover.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 06, 2004, 21:15
The problem the dems had this time is simply that they didn't attempt to reach out to the other side. "Red Staters" will listen to moral appeals. You need to appeal to people's better natures, that's all there is to it. Instead of personalizing the issues and demonizing the figurehead of the opposing movement. (Bin Laden's stronger cuz "America hates him" right? Just as Bush is stronger because the left hates him so much.)

As far as the Iran comparison: the first ammendment to the US constitution is the one guaranteeing separation of church & state. The first ammendment of the Iranian constitution basically says "there is no state BUT the church."

There's a huge difference between a country run by businessmen & lawyers who believe in god, and a country run by popes & priests.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: more ...
Nov 06, 2004, 21:17
You're right -- another way of looking at it is that 11 million more voters showed up this time. (And of those, 7 million voted for Bush.)
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index