Lying for Columbine

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Lying for Columbine
Oct 08, 2003, 21:32
The moral teachings ("love one another") etc. are not the "map building exercises" we're talking about here.

The old testament says "God created man on the 6th day." Believe it or don't. If you don't, why should you believe anything else in the book?

The big topic we've been skirting around but not addressing here is one of MORALITY . . .

. . . but I'm almost afraid to get into it. Even bigger and more divisive topic that, "what is moral and where does it come from?"
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:33
Ever read Robert Anton Wilson's books?
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:35
And actually. Going back into the scientific method for a mo and conisdering YHVH the tetragrammaton (name of god). As the second letter represents the spirit, it is He which is feminine. so the spirit is feminnine. however if you confront the spirit on this issue it just says 'So ? doesnt matter'. Genderlessness sort of.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:37
noooo....not anymore, thats for sure. I dont read the texts of the Gnostics either. Or any other will formed ego driven intellectual attempt at rationalising spirituality. The more you do that (as I now know) the further you actually get away from 'it' God, the buddhist state of Samadhi, whatever u feel like calling it. It's unhealthy and futile. Language cant 'do' those things, wish it could.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:40
I don't see anything spiritual about yoga, and I learned it from hardcore Krishnas who did the om-shanti-om prayers at the beginning of every class (I despise "modern" yoga where they cut out the traditional stuff and run it like an aerobics class -- I mean that's fine, but they should just call it "aerobics" instead of yoga.)

The thing is YOGA WORKS. It makes me feel relaxed & energized. Limbs more flexible, breathing better, etc. I think there's perfectly rational reasons for why it works -- exercising the muscles (including especially the diaphram), auto-suggestion (in fact our instructor described it as exactly that), and so on. I don't believe "Krishna" has anything to do with it.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:43
I was specifically thinking about one of his books, "Prometheus Rising" I think is the one . . . what he was arguing was a bit like what you're arguing: "the other" is out there, and if we experience it it must be "real."

I went through a Wilson phase, but can't say I'm much into him these days. That seems to be typical of people who read his books.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:44
Listen, Mystic Meg, today God has a big nob. And it looks like a weapon. And I'm gonna photograph it.

Alright? ;-)

Jehovarse.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:49
ermm.. The old testament is the old testament. It's not christianity. Christ didnt want christians, as the term is used, really. And that has nothing to do with the point, receiving the spirit, getting to Samadhi etc, etc. You're not approaching the text correctly in context with experience, and well, er, it's not the way forward. The Old Testament being glued to the New testament is as irrational as the book of Acts onwards being glued to the gospels. and the gospels in themselves contradict. You'll get nowhere with all that. The point is the Spirit. Everything else is cuddly metaphor, the intellectualising based on experience. Which essentially can never be correct,as I said, you cant verbalise this stuff. There is no common message accross ppl in spirit. Paul proved this, and the many branches of the evangelical movement also prove this. buddhism has the same problem, they're just not as divisive. Schools of Judaism and Islam can however be more divisive. It's not the point.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:50
okay, okay. settle down, I'm not suggesting your spiritual. Its all your decision. It was a joke, I had my ;P out see.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 08, 2003, 21:53
well yeah, obviously. I happily disappear up my own fundament in the blinding light of your embittered unenlightedness ;P xxxxx

that was a joke u know, just in case. As was the tetragrammaton crap, dont have any truck with that name of god shite either.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index