Forward

64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Forward
Dec 01, 2000, 16:07
sadly, i have to agree with you merrick. i'm a massive fan of space exploration (utopian idea: half of all money spent on defence should go into space research. the other half into alternative energy research. between the two, and with such vast resources, there might be a slim chance we can avert the catastrophe which will be an inevitable result of humanity's continued disregard for the planet and its limitations).

ultimately, of course, if you think "long term" (really long term!) and you want to ensure the survival of our species, then mass space travel is inevitable. earth is our mother, but if we are to survive into adulthood, then we must leave home when it can no longer support us (as will be the case sooner or later; if for no other reason than the sun will eventually go out!)

unfortunately, there's not a chance in hell that such research or exploration will take place in the near term, because nobody has managed to think of a way to make money out of space (beyond satellites). and sadly, if it's not profit-making, it's as good as useless in the eyes of the people with the money necessary to do it.

i don't agree, merrick, that the dangers or technical difficulties should stop us. we could overcome them if we spent as much time and resources on space as we do on guns.

but the only reasons to invest in space technology for the masses are extreme long-term ones... and whilst early-capitalism may have been able to think long term, late capitalism / consumerism cannot.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index