U-Know! Forum »
Forward

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ZIPNOLAN
39 posts

Re: Forward
Nov 27, 2000, 20:30
FUCKIN ELL , FAIR FUX TO U . Cant afford the luxury of a negative thought .To tru. I've said it b4 but anyway......
......Go forward as you have done hitherto for much remains 2b undergone.Be firm , be undaunted for your success is certain ; and no step u will have to take on your onward journey will b lost to our common cause.............THE CAUSE OF HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!

On another tack as a surveyor i receive and contibute to articles regarding enviro use of materials etc etc etc and will willingly correspond u with same.Will Email u . Keep in touch especially in the spirit of open house ....if i have it or can get hold of it its yours cos secrecy is deception and it aint my style. GO GET IT
Yours in total admiration.. zipnolan
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Forward
Dec 01, 2000, 16:07
sadly, i have to agree with you merrick. i'm a massive fan of space exploration (utopian idea: half of all money spent on defence should go into space research. the other half into alternative energy research. between the two, and with such vast resources, there might be a slim chance we can avert the catastrophe which will be an inevitable result of humanity's continued disregard for the planet and its limitations).

ultimately, of course, if you think "long term" (really long term!) and you want to ensure the survival of our species, then mass space travel is inevitable. earth is our mother, but if we are to survive into adulthood, then we must leave home when it can no longer support us (as will be the case sooner or later; if for no other reason than the sun will eventually go out!)

unfortunately, there's not a chance in hell that such research or exploration will take place in the near term, because nobody has managed to think of a way to make money out of space (beyond satellites). and sadly, if it's not profit-making, it's as good as useless in the eyes of the people with the money necessary to do it.

i don't agree, merrick, that the dangers or technical difficulties should stop us. we could overcome them if we spent as much time and resources on space as we do on guns.

but the only reasons to invest in space technology for the masses are extreme long-term ones... and whilst early-capitalism may have been able to think long term, late capitalism / consumerism cannot.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Space
Dec 01, 2000, 16:38
I struggle to travel through the known space!
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Time
Dec 01, 2000, 18:06
as has been already pointed out somewhere on this thread, the time which we have before we completely fuck up our home is much shorter than the presumed cosmic catastrophe/span of the sun's glow (what is it, 3 billion years from now?)

the sad argument that we 'need space right now due to the earth running out of time' is politician rubbish, or nasa asking for yet more cash. another case of instilling fear in the minds of citizens whilst drawing their minds away from the problems here and now, which politicians surely don't care about

in any case, the planet will be here for quite a long time in cosmic terms whatever happens meteor-wise or environmental-wise - we won't, possibly, or at least not those of the wealthier breed
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index