Wychwood barrows (West Oxfordshire)

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
baza
baza
1308 posts

Re: Wychwood barrows (West Oxfordshire)
Mar 13, 2003, 23:44
OoooooOo.....Jane.....you must be feeling brave.....or reckless.

Slatepits Copse long barrow, with the remains of the chamber, is at SP329165.

The other, smaller one, with no stones visible, is Churchill Copse long barrow, at SP332168.

If you have the OS Explorer sheet 180, then it`s a lot easier. The Landranger sheet 164 hasn`t got all of the trackways marked on it.

I entered the estate at the barrier at 322168, after parking my car some distance away so as not to draw attention to my presence.

After walking east for 500yds along the track, at 327167, I turned south onto a narrower track going downhill for 300yds, where I turned sharp left onto another pathway heading north-east. After about 100yds, I took the plunge and left the path and headed north for a short distance to Slatepits Close barrow.

On my way back, when I had reached 327167 again, I thought sod it, now I`ve come this far, I might as well go for the Churchill Copse barrow, so turned right instead of going back left to the exit.

After 400yds, the trackway actually runs over the southern side of Churchill Copse long barrow!

I was a bit perturbed by this, so, not wanting to admit my trespass, our friend Celia sent a photo that I`d taken to the Inspector of Ancient Monuments, who said he`d have a word with the owners about it.

baz

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index