Wychwood barrows (West Oxfordshire)

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Wychwood barrows (West Oxfordshire)
Mar 13, 2003, 09:16
Thought I might take a trip out to Wychwood on Saturday to grub around in the mud and amongst the trees to see what i could find.

hey Baza, I recall we spoke about Wychwood before - do you know how much trespassing is required to reach them?

Slightly-nervous-of-trespassing (but-likely-to-do-so-anyway)
Jane
baza
baza
1308 posts

Re: Wychwood barrows (West Oxfordshire)
Mar 13, 2003, 23:44
OoooooOo.....Jane.....you must be feeling brave.....or reckless.

Slatepits Copse long barrow, with the remains of the chamber, is at SP329165.

The other, smaller one, with no stones visible, is Churchill Copse long barrow, at SP332168.

If you have the OS Explorer sheet 180, then it`s a lot easier. The Landranger sheet 164 hasn`t got all of the trackways marked on it.

I entered the estate at the barrier at 322168, after parking my car some distance away so as not to draw attention to my presence.

After walking east for 500yds along the track, at 327167, I turned south onto a narrower track going downhill for 300yds, where I turned sharp left onto another pathway heading north-east. After about 100yds, I took the plunge and left the path and headed north for a short distance to Slatepits Close barrow.

On my way back, when I had reached 327167 again, I thought sod it, now I`ve come this far, I might as well go for the Churchill Copse barrow, so turned right instead of going back left to the exit.

After 400yds, the trackway actually runs over the southern side of Churchill Copse long barrow!

I was a bit perturbed by this, so, not wanting to admit my trespass, our friend Celia sent a photo that I`d taken to the Inspector of Ancient Monuments, who said he`d have a word with the owners about it.

baz
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 14, 2003, 09:08
hi baza
This is fantastic advice, babe, and I shall heed every word of it. (Especially the bit about buying the OS Explorer 180)

Happy to tell you that my trepidation at trespassing on land which I know is frequently used by Expensive People with rifles hunting deer urged me to call Cornbury Park and get permission. Which i got.

There are also some tumuli at the north east end of Cornbury park which I might have a glance at....
Hope you're well and I'll see you again soon at my exhibition in May. Still enjoying your paintings?
lots of love
Jane
xx
moggymiaow
121 posts

Mar 14, 2003, 13:08
If it makes you feel better there is no crime of trespassing in England. The land owner can ask you to leave the property but that is all. If they do anything more then you can report them to the police should you wish to for threatening behaviour.
The only thing you could get into trouble for is if they can prove actual criminal damage, which is unlikely.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 14, 2003, 13:51
And they have to bring a civil case against you.
LPHP
335 posts

Mar 14, 2003, 14:02
I think what bothers Jane more than that is that she may be mistook for gun fodder.

Pix xx
LPHP
335 posts

Mar 14, 2003, 14:03
I suggest a seasonal outfit of flourescent orange/pink.

Pix xx
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 14, 2003, 14:14
What's all this trepassers will be prosecuted, then? Is it really bollocks? If someone was lurking in my garden, I'd be pretty miffed.

Pix is right, its just that I really don't want to be mistaken for a graceful (and therefore shootable) deer, grazing quitely in the undergrowth... (Those who have met me will know how ridiculous this assertion is!)

Anyway, I have my permission and I have my maps, the sun will shine and everything will be good in the world....

Except the stock market, the Iraq crisis, my bank balance....
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

aggravated trespass
Mar 14, 2003, 14:18
oh yes there *is* an offence, especially if there's shooting going on nearby:

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/chapters/the-right-of-peaceful-protest/public-order-offences/aggravated-trespass.shtml

Aggravated Trespass
The offence of aggravated trespass is committed when a person:

• trespasses on land;

• when a lawful activity is taking place on that land or land nearby;

• and he or she does anything intending to intimidate, obstruct or disrupt that activity.

The offence, under section 68 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 , goes hand-in-hand with powers to prevent protesters joining an aggravated trespass. The powers are similar to the exclusion zone powers for trespassory assemblies. Once protesters are within a five-mile radius exclusion zone they can be turned back, and can be arrested and charged with an offence if they refuse to comply. The offences carry imprisonment of up to three months or a fine of up to £2,500.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: aggravated trespass
Mar 14, 2003, 14:31
Jeeeez! Now I *AM* pleased i made that phone call!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index