The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Yorkshire wolds

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Yorkshire wolds
Jan 07, 2003, 23:10
There's always ritual :) having spent a little time with Fitz up there looking at Scameridge they could have been anything - it's difficult to see the woods from the trees.

I agree with your general feel of this one, in that it seems to be more of a boundary than anything else (and could have been used to retain animals). However the double wall troubles me, since it's OTT for animals and I think earthen walls (don't know if these were) would collapse and be easy for animals to climb when the sides were not so sheer. Compared to thorn hedges and wooden fences this seems to be a lot of work for a simple job like that.

Next we come to tribal boundaries, which I think could be split into two types - defensive boundaries thrown up to isolate two unhappy clans, and symbolic boundaries, separating an area for a non defensive purpose. Which is the most common explaination of the dykes in the moors, since many are built in locations where they seem unwarranted - often of a construction which defies simple explanation (four or five rows of banks and dirches).

Ideally I would like to try and isloate each different type of earthwork and colour them differently on a map depending on type, date, etc. See if I can cut through the fog that way.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index