The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Yorkshire wolds

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Yorkshire wolds
May 18, 2003, 22:27
I did a mammoth map investigation on this last night.

There appears to be three major Leys (paths, tracks, call them what you may) on Landranger 106.

One starts at the Humber Bridge (north end) and continues to Roseburry topping - Middlesborough (tracing a line accross mulitple maps can end up a bit innacurate. I'd plump for Rosebury Topping myself, but that could be wishfull thinking.

Another follows the Roman road from Hull and seems to travel to Darlington.

Another runs on a line from Wetwang to Pocklington.

The first is very pronounced, the other two are more marginal and would need to be cross referenced with holy Wells and crosses to be more definate.

However, the third would seem to indicate that the earthworks we were discussing on this thread were a boundary far a significant period of time and I'd suggest these show the area covered by the tribe that became the Parisi in the Late Iron Age.

These leys seem to give a bit more meaning to some other earthworks in the area. The Darlington Ley is crossed by a couple of bar dykes and could indicate periods of enmity between the Brigantes and the Parisi.

I'd not stake the rent on it of course, but these are interesting and worth following up.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index