Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited Aug 03, 2017, 23:10
Re: Places of worship
Aug 03, 2017, 23:09
Notwithstanding the problems associated with defining religion , the Pyramid texts (2300 BC) are evidence of what few would dispute as a religion . The same applies to Sumerian religion .
There is no reason that whoever lived in Britain at that time and until Christianity should also have had a religion , whatever the definition , but as Ironstone says it is being obtuse to suggest otherwise .

Regardless , there is some evidence for pre Christian religion in Britain. Whether the writings of Caesar are acceptable is a problem , but if we do accept them ,and many do , then he does mention the Druids ,e.g.”They wish to inculcate this as one of their leading tenets, that souls do not become extinct, but pass after death from one body to another, and they think that men by this tenet are in a great degree excited to valor, the fear of death being disregarded. They likewise discuss and impart to the youth many things respecting the stars and their motion, respecting the extent of the world and of our earth, respecting the nature of things, respecting the power and the majesty of the immortal gods. “ that and other comments are reasonable descriptions for a religion in pre Christian Britain and the near continent .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 04, 2017, 09:22
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[I quite agree. I'm puzzled as to why some ascribe a golden age type scenario to the societies that built and used these monuments. It doesn't seem to make sense. I understand the 'romance', if you will, and that I suppose is a large part of it, the mystery, but in my mind all points toward organised religion of some sort.

I would think that a belief in the Afterlife was paramount around this time so people could easily be manipulated into doing/building things by an organised hierarchy to reach that goal. What would be more rewarding than to believe you were going to live again in a Utopian world compared to what you would be leaving behind?
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 04, 2017, 17:28
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[I quite agree. I'm puzzled as to why some ascribe a golden age type scenario to the societies that built and used these monuments. It doesn't seem to make sense. I understand the 'romance', if you will, and that I suppose is a large part of it, the mystery, but in my mind all points toward organised religion of some sort.

I would think that a belief in the Afterlife was paramount around this time so people could easily be manipulated into doing/building things by an organised hierarchy to reach that goal. What would be more rewarding than to believe you were going to live again in a Utopian world compared to what you would be leaving behind?

It's certainly a possibility..
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index