Re: Stanton Moor tick-list?
Jul 12, 2017, 22:17
Nice one, that's great news :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Jul 12, 2017, 23:10
It's a really good book, nice plans of the monuments and clear maps to get you there.

It's also a really lovely area. I think you would like Nine Ladies very much (although don't expect to have it yourself very long). Bakewell is a nice place to stay if you did get up there.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jul 14, 2017, 14:04
There are loads of barrows on there worth seing besides the ring cairns. Dyer's prehistoric england lists a few worthy of inspection including a square barrow. I put this together a few years back that might help http://www.juamei.com/stantonmoorcairns/
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jul 14, 2017, 22:05
Not prehistoric, but down in Birchover up behind the aptly named Druids Inn are some rock cut stairs leading to some lovely rocks to clamber a and explore. Barn Farm is a lovely base to explore the local area, you have a great time!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Jul 14, 2017, 22:08
Jul 14, 2017, 22:06
Oops, double tap, soz.
ruskus
12 posts

Jul 14, 2017, 22:46
Ah, that's perfect timing! I'm planning a brief trip to the area for a few weeks time....needless to say I've ordered the book (lot cheaper than Amazon too!).

Cheers!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Jul 15, 2017, 17:48
It's really good. We took it with us last November and it was useful to have the site plans.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index