Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jun 28, 2017, 15:43
A journey to the edge of Lewis
Jun 28, 2017, 15:40
You will love it....

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/28/scotlands-rocky-road-a-journey-to-the-edge-of-lewis-a-photo-essay

and if the link plays up just type, A journey to the edge of Lewis photo essay
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: A journey to the edge of Lewis
Jun 28, 2017, 16:05
Ooh, the photos of Bostadh make me want to go back there RIGHT now! I love that beach! Cheers for this! :)

G x
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 28, 2017, 20:03
We are off on Saturday. I think it will be good.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jun 28, 2017, 20:31
Jun 28, 2017, 20:12
Thanks Moss, great evocative photos.
Like Goffick my best memory was of Bostadh. Walked there on our first day, the sun shone, it was warm, the sand white and the sea blue. An osprey circled over the cliffs - on the walk back a golden eagle watched us from a ridge before soaring into flight above us. The rest of the week was mostly wet, very windy and cold but I'm grateful and glad to have gone there.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 28, 2017, 20:36
Rhiannon wrote:
We are off on Saturday. I think it will be good.

I think it will be good too Rhiannon and the right time of year. Looking forward to hearing about it when you get back - lots of folklore. The Visitors Centre at Callanish is a great source of information.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 28, 2017, 20:39
It's a bit spontaneous so I haven't got a big list of places to see. But I'm guessing pretty much everywhere will look amazing. I'll have to read your notes quickly now!
CARL
511 posts

Jun 28, 2017, 20:49
My favourite beach as well G. A cracking article which brought back a lot of happy memories!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Jul 04, 2017, 12:26
Jul 04, 2017, 12:23
moss wrote:
You will love it....

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/28/scotlands-rocky-road-a-journey-to-the-edge-of-lewis-a-photo-essay

and if the link plays up just type, A journey to the edge of Lewis photo essay

Went there in 1996 for the Hebridean Circuit, a week long series of sheep dog trials. Fantastic landscape with wonderful empty sandy beaches, which, if on the Mainland, would be packed out!
The highlight of course was Callanish. If ever a stone circle can claim to be in a special place in the landscape, this is the one IMO.
We stayed in a B&B about a mile away but I walked down to the circle at 4am to hopefully be there before anyone else to take early morning photos. I wasn't - a professional magazine photographer was already there. Surprisingly though, very few people arrived early. One other thing although it may not be the same today - B&B's were amazingly cheap!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Jul 04, 2017, 23:26
Jul 04, 2017, 13:19
Sanctuary wrote:
..wonderful empty sandy beaches, which, if on the Mainland, would be packed out!

There are plenty of fantastic beaches on the mainland that are nearly always deserted. Redpoint springs immediately to mind, but there are many many others.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 04, 2017, 13:40
There are plenty of cruise ships and tourists that arrive at the islands now and there is an interesting blog here on the consequences....

http://blog.placemanagement.org/2017/04/11/orkney/
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index