Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: A journey to the edge of Lewis
Jul 04, 2017, 13:57
Rhiannon wrote:
We are off on Saturday. I think it will be good.

Hahaha! :D UNDERSTATEMENT! :D "It will be good". Tut. ;)

G x
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 04, 2017, 14:00
We walked from Valasay to Bostadh in thick fog and rain. Could barely see the path, but it was such a thrill. Felt like we were so totally isolated. Lost, almost. Actually, almost lost. :D But all the more worthwhile. Felt like a pilgrimage. No idea who plotted the path or why it was considered the best route. :D

G x
carol27
747 posts

Jul 04, 2017, 23:02
Callanish and all the other stuff was, of course, magnificent but what stays in my mind is the colour of the water. I see it still in my minds eye. A glorious sapphire blue. I like water, I'm a piscean, I've never seen such a beautiful colour of water, and, even better, so much of it, as on the isle of lewis & orkney. It's awash.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 05, 2017, 08:17
Sounds beautiful. There is a local folklore about the Blue Men of the Minches. Sea kelpies, their presence is between Lewis and the Shianti Islands I think. You have to offer them the next line of a verse if they start following your boat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_men_of_the_Minch

Good book by Nicholson on the Shiant islands, called 'Sea Room' though of course because these islands were bought by the English upper class in their day rather destructive of local life.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jul 06, 2017, 01:47
Aaah..Redpoint. Gadflies can be a bastard on the second beach though I found..but the sunsets over the sea can be wonderful
tomatoman
118 posts

Jul 07, 2017, 11:47
Good essay. For anyone with extra time in the area, I can thoroughly recommend walking some of the solitary backroads of Eastern Harris. You can encounter isolated folks still involved in dyeing wool with natural local materials and then spinning it to supply the Harris Tweed makers. The landscapes are stunning, too. We were based at Kyles Scalpay.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index