Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Re: tjj - 49 and 5 Sunday services
Mar 28, 2017, 22:04
A R Cane wrote:
The answer to all our problems is that the old chapel opposite the Red Lion in Avebury is currently up for sale (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-47351997.html). We could all club together to buy it and then we could book it out to stay in as and when! How about it?

All piss-taking aside, what a great idea, and how ironic: a bunch of TMAers owning a christian church in the centre of Avebury.

Seriously, if there was a possibility of this happening, I'm sure I could see a way to investing some of my hard-earned. Anyone else?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 29, 2017, 08:42
It was always my fantasy retirement plan, living somewhere like that and sitting at the front knapping tools to sell to visitors. All I can do is solemnly promise that if I win the lottery soon I WILL buy it and make it a free TMA/Portal overnight stopover.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Mar 29, 2017, 15:45
Once again thanks for letting me know about these changes as I definitely would have been standing around for over an hour otherwise. I wonder how many people will get caught out on Sunday. For some reason I've found it difficult to locate the new Sunday timetable online but picked up a paper copy from the Bus Information Office:
For anyone planning a bus trip to Avebury on Sunday, here are the times -
From Swindon Bus Station: 08.15, 10.15, 12.15, 14.15, 16.15, 18.15
Return from Avebury: 09.34, 11.34, 13.34, 15.34, 17.34, 19.34 (leaving Devizes at 11 minutes past the hour).

I'll put these times under the News Section as well.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 29, 2017, 18:33
You're welcome, glad it was useful. And ryaner is buying us all a bunkhouse too, so that's a positive outcome.
A R Cane
30 posts

Mar 30, 2017, 11:34
Actually maybe it should be a care home for ageing modern antiquarians. I picture myself being pushed around the stones in my wheelchair, a blanket upon my knees, and when I finally die I'll be laid out in the chapel graveyard where my bones will be picked clean by the local birds and wildlife and then interred in WKLB!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Mar 30, 2017, 21:06
I had a little prowl around out there today. The Avebury Chapel is partly built with sarsen stones, possibly taken from the stone circle, there is a graveyard at the front of the building. All these years I've been going out to Avebury and didn't notice there is a comparatively modern burial ground right in the centre of the Circle.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Mar 31, 2017, 12:00
thesweetcheat wrote:
And ryaner is buying us all a bunkhouse too, so that's a positive outcome.

So that's a no from tsc, anyone else?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 31, 2017, 12:46
Seriously I'd love to, but I have no savings and my wages are getting smaller and smaller.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2017, 17:15
Mar 31, 2017, 13:56
ryaner wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
And ryaner is buying us all a bunkhouse too, so that's a positive outcome.

So that's a no from tsc, anyone else?

I think anyone would have trouble using it for that purpose. The marketing information is low key saying:
"The property is suitable for continued community use or potentially it could form a visitor centre or café to serve the tourist industry or would convert to a very attractive single residential property, although these uses would of course require planning permission to be granted."

It is also a burial site - there are several graves in front of the chapel.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Apr 01, 2017, 15:23
Only (half) kidding. Ah well. Graves wouldn't put me off.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index