The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
tjj - 49 and 5 Sunday services

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: tjj - 49 and 5 Sunday services
Mar 27, 2017, 08:38
Had a look at it yesterday. "Reasonable" doesn't cover it. Should have been advertised worldwide, and by auction. And it says they won't necessarily take the highest or any particular bid. Sounds like a "control" issue to me, despite losing money on the deal.

NT at Avebury control freaks? Surely not? Hahahahaha!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 17:34
nigelswift wrote:
Had a look at it yesterday. "Reasonable" doesn't cover it. Should have been advertised worldwide, and by auction. And it says they won't necessarily take the highest or any particular bid. Sounds like a "control" issue to me, despite losing money on the deal.

NT at Avebury control freaks? Surely not? Hahahahaha!

Do the National Trust own the building then? Perhaps it is still owned by the church group who originally used it. The asking price does seem low compared with today's property prices but whoever buys it will have to jump through hoops to get planning permission for almost any other use.

Quote: "The present use is within Class D1 of the Use Classes Order, as a place of worship. This would also permit other community uses including clinics, surgeries, crèches, day nurseries and consulting rooms. Alternatively, in our view the property could be converted for use to serve the tourist industry, as a visitor centre, shop or café. It could also be converted to a single dwelling, although all of these uses would require planning permission to be granted".

I haven't checked but would guess the NT 'own' the land and leasehold so there will probably be ground rent as well. That could be hefty.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 17:43
Yes it's owned by the church but I sense the dead hand of NT on it.

I think the "hoops" are quite surmountable by a professional advisor. I dealt with quite a number of church conversions when I was alive ;) and when it's done you'll have a remarkable spacious house with galleried upstairs accommodation and an unbelievable outlook at the rear. (If it was me I'd re-instate the webcam and make a pretty penny from that and adverts).
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 20:37
A R Cane wrote:
The answer to all our problems is that the old chapel opposite the Red Lion in Avebury is currently up for sale (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-47351997.html). We could all club together to buy it and then we could book it out to stay in as and when! How about it?

Does it have a graveyard attached? Burials in the garden? Sort of sitting tenants?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 20:57
Yes, 7 or 8 gravestones in the front garden, and access rights will have to be provided.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 20:58
I'd say lying tenants but that might come across as casting aspersions on their honesty.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 21:01
I imagine NT might be a bit snarky about someone opening a reasonably priced tea shop in it.

Yesterday I paid £2 - that's £2 - for a bottle of 7UP in their new kiosk cum lavatory extension, because the village shop had just closed and I was parched.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 21:28
You could make a fortune selling from a barrow except NT bylaws prohibit it.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 21:54
When you say "barrow"...?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 28, 2017, 07:14
Yeah, well, there's a lot of free bling in EKLB they say.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index