tjj - 49 and 5 Sunday services

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

tjj - 49 and 5 Sunday services
Mar 26, 2017, 20:53
Hi tjj, you probably already know, but Sunday bus services from Swindon are being cut from next weekend.

The 5 Swindon - Salisbury will now only run as far as Marlborough.

The 49 Swindon - Devizes is being reduced to a two-hourly service.

Weekdays and Saturdays seem to be largely unaffected, just some changes to the times.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: tjj - 49 and 5 Sunday services
Mar 26, 2017, 21:54
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hi tjj, you probably already know, but Sunday bus services from Swindon are being cut from next weekend.

Weekdays and Saturdays seem to be largely unaffected, just some changes to the times.

No, I didn't know about the 49 bus service and I am going to need to use it next Sunday so really appreciate this information. This is bleak news on top of slashing of library services and the biggest council tax increase in the country. xxxxxx (fill in your own expletive) Tories!

Re the X5, I do use it a lot but didn't think it ran on Sunday so don't even try to go in that direction.
Thanks very much for letting me know tsc, at least I will be able to plan my Sunday journey next weekend.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 22:09
tjj wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

No, I didn't know about the 49 bus service and I am going to need to use it next Sunday so really appreciate this information. This is bleak news on top of slashing of library services and the biggest council tax increase in the country. xxxxxx (fill in your own expletive) Tories!

Re the X5, I do use it a lot but didn't think it ran on Sunday so don't even try to go in that direction.
Thanks very much for letting me know tsc, at least I will be able to plan my Sunday journey next weekend.

Tories?

Tony Blair.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 22:14
On a Sunday the X5 is the 5, run by Stagecoach rather than the other firm (something Reds?). Both these reductions are Stagecoach and I suspect it's because they're not making the profits they'd like - the notices up at the bus station are all about the cost of running the services.

It's a bugger for me, my Saturdays are currently otherwise engaged and I struggle to get out anywhere on a Sunday as the trains start late from here and buses are limited. Avebury was one of the few places I could get to. Once they change the times, the earliest bus I could get from Swindon on a Sunday will be at 12:15, which is precludes a long walk.

Still, had a glorious day out today, Fyfield Down and the huge round barrows off the Ridgeway.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 22:21
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/may/03/senior-tory-financial-crash-was-purely-a-banking-crisis-not-labour-overspend
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 22:28
GLADMAN wrote:
tjj wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Tories?

Tony Blair.

It's the Tories that 'run' (as in run down) Swindon Council and are firmly embedded running things in Wiltshire. I don't mind if you want to give Blair a bit of a kicking though.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 22:31
GLADMAN wrote:
Tories?

Tony Blair.

Sorry, instinctive reaction.. no offence intended. I am by no means a Tory.

However... Point is I work within financial services... and the more we dig trying to fix the problems the more Tony Blair's - and Gordon Brown's - fingerprints are upon everything which went wrong in the 2,000s. Labour voters have to shoulder responsibility for the meltdown. The guy had three terms, for chrissake! Assumption there is the country was happy with running up unprecedented levels of debt? I wasn't. Or else they simply did not understand? Someone has to attempt to pick up the pieces.
A R Cane
30 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 22:51
The answer to all our problems is that the old chapel opposite the Red Lion in Avebury is currently up for sale (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-47351997.html). We could all club together to buy it and then we could book it out to stay in as and when! How about it?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 23:44
GLADMAN wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
Tories?

Tony Blair.

Sorry, instinctive reaction.. no offence intended. I am by no means a Tory.

However... Point is I work within financial services... and the more we dig trying to fix the problems the more Tony Blair's - and Gordon Brown's - fingerprints are upon everything which went wrong in the 2,000s. Labour voters have to shoulder responsibility for the meltdown. The guy had three terms, for chrissake! Assumption there is the country was happy with running up unprecedented levels of debt? I wasn't. Or else they simply did not understand? Someone has to attempt to pick up the pieces.

The "meltdown" was a global financial crash caused by people working in banking, not by Labour government spending, either here or anywhere else. Not sure how that makes it the fault of Labour voters unless they happened to be US sub-prime mortgage brokers as well. The suggestion that Labour caused the crash has long been discredited by everyone from the Treasury to the former Governor of the Bank of England. Sure, Labour could have stepped up regulation of the banking and financial sectors (although they already had increased regulation with the creation of the FSA) but be honest, the Tories pushed and pushed for less regulation and if they'd been in power in 2007 the banks would've been less regulated than they were, and the effect could have been significantly worse as a result - it was Labour's intervention that stopped Northern Rock and RBS failing.

The levels of debt are not "unprecedented" (a look at any number of charts showing national debt since the 1940s will show that) but it has risen by over 50% since the Tories took over the economy in 2010, while nearly doubling as a percentage of GDP in the same period.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 08:17
A R Cane wrote:
The answer to all our problems is that the old chapel opposite the Red Lion in Avebury is currently up for sale (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-47351997.html). We could all club together to buy it and then we could book it out to stay in as and when! How about it?

Hi, yes I noticed the chapel was up for sale - at a comparatively reasonable price too. It doesn't yet have planning permission for any conversion though. The Swindon-Devizes Sunday bus service does facilitate many visitors to Avebury but is also used by Devizes residents, particularly young people going into Swindon for shopping (and all the people living in between). Vice versa for other reasons.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index