Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Which is the longest/largest recumbent stone in the UK?

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Which is the longest/largest recumbent stone in the UK?
Feb 16, 2017, 22:14
Was pondering re Rudston
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2017, 08:28
Re: Which is the longest/largest recumbent stone in the UK?
Feb 17, 2017, 08:25
This is really for Scottish TMAers...

Well googling because of ignorance, mine, ( though they are to be found only in Scotland and Ireland?) it turned into an interesting read, they are part of a stone circle, the 'altar' from which you can see the moon, would form part of the dimensions of the s/c. So for a start, 'Old Keig' ....

'At Old Keig a recumbent stone circle situated on a slight crest on a ridge, and within a narrow windbelt. A recumbent stone, 16ft long on top, 6ft thick, 6 3/4ft high, two flankers, the westerly 5 1/4ft above the turf, the easterly 9 1/2ft, and a third orthostat, 9 1/2ft high, to the east, survive. Five other earth fast stones in the vicinity look as if they have been disturbed.'

https://canmore.org.uk/site/17530/old-keig

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/191/old_keig.html
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 08:50
Old Keig, Cothiemuir RSC is only a short distance away and The Barmekin Hillfort is at the top the hill.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 09:50
An interesting point about the Old Keig recumbent is that if it was provenanced accurately it might prove to be one of the best cases for long distance hauling in the UK , where glaciation would not be a possible explanation , on the other hand it might prove otherwise , but the analysis could prove it one way or the other . I have often thought that it would be a useful touristy point and shouldn't cost that much to do .

Discussion here .
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/tma/topic/34375/flat/350
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 09:51
tiompan wrote:
An interesting point about the Old Keig recumbent is that if it was provenanced accurately it might prove to be one of the best cases for long distance hauling in the UK , where glaciation would not be a possible explanation , on the other hand it might prove otherwise , but the analysis could prove it one way or the other . I have often thought that it would be a useful touristy point and shouldn't cost that much to do .

Discussion here .

Coreens?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 10:18
drewbhoy wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Discussion here .

Coreens?

No, east of the Coreens . It's silimanite gneiss and the nearest source was always suggested as being , from memory , somewhere near Tilliehaslach .(I'll dig out the info ). From T to OK is not the direction of glaciation and also uphill . But there is a possibility of a silimanite gneiss being found closer to OK and higher iirc so much less of a distance and also downhill and maybe even in the direction glaciation .I'll have to dig out the notes for the finer detail .
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 10:49
tiompan wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Discussion here .

Coreens?

No, east of the Coreens . It's silimanite gneiss and the nearest source was always suggested as being , from memory , somewhere near Tilliehaslach .(I'll dig out the info ). From T to OK is not the direction of glaciation and also uphill . But there is a possibility of a silimanite gneiss being found closer to OK and higher iirc so much less of a distance and also downhill and maybe even in the direction glaciation .I'll have to dig out the notes for the finer detail .

Yup, Tilliehaslach has some quarries, Ramstone also has some. Just south of the Corrie Hill might have been a source, as you would have to come downhill to OK, as well as the other 2.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 11:13
Have just Googled for 'longest recumbent stone' and, in context of Scottish stone circles, the answer would appear to be Kirkton of Bourtie. According to TMA. Would'nt mind a look myself.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 11:25
spencer wrote:
Have just Googled for 'longest recumbent stone' and, in context of Scottish stone circles, the answer would appear to be Kirkton of Bourtie. According to TMA. Would'nt mind a look myself.

Yup about 20cm longer and set with fantastic views to Bennachie and Tap O Noth etc etc. Barra Hillfort is next door. But for sheer size Old Keig is stunning. You should visit both.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 12:00
Would love to, Drew. Believe you me. Not sure about driving for twenty minutes sometimes at the moment.. and don't. Poxed. Should be working now. Frustrated of Sheffield : (
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index