Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Dec 24, 2016, 00:46
Island Hopping In Scotland
Dec 24, 2016, 00:33
It's amazing to visit these places, and I've done many. However it is really expensive. A car on a ferry will cost lots. And you will need a car. Hire one. A person a ferry will cost lots too.

Obviously. It's not like going to Madame Tussauds as the places are stunning and free. And you are allowed to drink malt whisky at 10AM.

There are very strange people on the Isles, and they think us lot from the cities are strange too.

It's worth doing when you have the money, before you squander it on a car, kids or a divorce or a house. Or all 4!
postman
848 posts

Re: Island Hopping In Scotland
Dec 26, 2016, 13:10
I have a mortgage, kids, car and a divorce behind me, still went to Lewis and Uist this year. Hopefully I'll be going to some Scottish Island next year too.

Things that help keep prices down are....

Sleep in a tent, or the car.
Eat crap from garages.
Drive economically.
Stay away from tea rooms.
You don't need to stay all week, a few days will do.

Easy.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 26, 2016, 15:27
What he said. Scotland: wildcamping central. Reduced items in eve from shops, ferry footpassenger - btw top decks great for whale or baskers etc spotting - hire a bike on islands or use buses - (very good from Stornoway, I found). Sorted.
CARL
511 posts

Dec 26, 2016, 23:26
I can confirm that taking a car, partner and two children AND staying in B+Bs is a VERY expensive way of doing the islands. on the other hand if it's that way or not going then it is still worth it! :)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 27, 2016, 01:07
Trouble is.....if you go you want to go back. KERCHING!!
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Dec 28, 2016, 10:37
The Road Equivalent Tarrif has made a huge difference to many of us. It started off with a pilot scheme in 2009 I think and by the end of 2011 RET was bestowed upon all routes to The Western Isles plus Coll and Tiree. Islay, Colonsay and Gigha followed suit the following year. I still do an Arran jaunt every Summer. A few years back that would cost around £150 for myself, my OH, my young son and a wee hatchback. Now with RET being thrust upon Arran a couple of years back, the cost is less than £50.
For the likes of us, that saving of £100 can then be invested as a gratis contribution towards one's self-catering accommodation, or as we like to do, spend it on big steak dinners, plastic flip-flops and ice creams.
RET has rendered island hopping to about a third of its price of ten years ago. That's the stuff. Better than politicians spending it on cocaine, duck-houses, prozzies and rent-boys.
postman
848 posts

Dec 28, 2016, 14:33
Road Equivalent Tarrif ? never heard of it, sounds good though.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Dec 28, 2016, 14:58
postman wrote:
Road Equivalent Tarrif ? never heard of it, sounds good though.

RET has been operating for some years. It covers pretty much all the Western Seaboard of Scotland. It is quite brilliant. Mostly governments and subsidies only work for Multinational Corporations an suchlike.

https://www.calmac.co.uk/RET-Fares

The prices compared to ten years ago are fantastic. It was like removing the road tolls on the Skye Bridge or giving free bus passes to the elderly. But here, with RET. absolutely everybody wins.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Dec 28, 2016, 16:08
This looks like a great scheme.

Much of this thread suggests a car is an essential. I'm hoping that maybe there are alternative ways to get round at least the main sites on the bigger islands.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 28, 2016, 16:20
Boats are essential but walking and hitching can take care of the rest .
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index