Island Hopping In Scotland

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Dec 29, 2016, 11:58
Re: Island Hopping In Scotland
Dec 29, 2016, 08:37
You're right about Shetland Carl, ferry is expensive with a car. If I remember right Isle of Man was as bad and nowhere near the distance to travel.
thelonious
330 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 08:42
Couldn't agree more HD. RET really are a good thing.

I went to Eigg this year. £7.70 return for a foot passenger on the ferry. That wouldn't get me that far on a bus round Aberdeen!
ironstone
62 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 11:20
You can get a ferry to Stromness on Orkney from Scrabster near Thurso which in addition to being a fairly short hop has the added advantage of requiring you to drive near to the Camster Cairns and The Great U of Stemster if you fancy a visit en route. A car is definitely required, though.
thelonious
330 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 11:46
I know bus tours ain't everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed a day trip bus tour from John O' Groats to Orkney many moons ago.

For £74 I think this is good - day trip to Orkney from Inverness (easy to get to) and back. Nice scenery on the way up to John O' Groats, ferry to Orkney and visits Skara Brae, the Ring of Brodgar and the Italian Chapel (all must sees imo).

http://www.jogferry.co.uk/getdoc/e6ba3c39-e306-48e1-b33c-c0127e3546f8/Inverness.aspx
GLADMAN
950 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 20:51
It is possible to get to Callanish as a foot passenger from Ullapool... I did that in 2002, getting the bus from Stornoway for about 4 hours on site before catching the last ferry back. There's a YH at Ullapool.

Needless to say I had to come back in 2004 touring The Uists and Lewis by car. Note that there are some wonderful YHs there too... thatched black houses. Recall waking up in one (Tobha Mor) to find a bird sutting on the bunk looking at me.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 30, 2016, 02:23
The Ullapool-Stornoway-bus-Callanish-last ferry thing with my daughters in '12 was magical..flat calm, cetacean spotting on top deck both ways, red sun setting over Stornoway then the island in the ships wake on the return, full moon rising over Stac Pollaidh and pals, then casting a beautiful long reflection on the water as we neared harbour. Will never forget. All for a pittance really. And ferry food up there is not bad at all. Those who haven't: one day, do try, ok?
CARL
511 posts

Dec 30, 2016, 23:13
Visiting the Historic Scotland Blackhouse was one of my best memories of my visit to the Outer Hebrides. Superb! :)
costaexpress
77 posts

Dec 31, 2016, 09:51
Not really Island Hopping, however, I did get to the Outer Hebrides and Orkney this year and they were both hugely rewarding, however, the extreme variations in weather I encountered suggest to me that if travelling without a vehicle (as many were clearly doing on the ferries) you do need the flexibility of travelling when the weather is good (or at least better) as some days are simply impossible. I needed multiple changes out of sodden clothes some days and was in shorts and T shirt the next. Even with my own vehicle to sleep in and taking my own food to cook costs soon rack up simply due to the distances involved (from South Lincs in my case clearly London and South even more). Having said that I can't wait to get back and visit some of the more Indie sites on the less accessible islands and would definitely not want to put those travelling without a vehicle off, just needs a little more planning. Sunset and sunrise with a nice glass of Talisker, as close to paradise as one is going to get.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Jan 01, 2017, 12:39
Dec 31, 2016, 11:36
thelonious wrote:
Couldn't agree more HD. RET really are a good thing.

I went to Eigg this year. £7.70 return for a foot passenger on the ferry. That wouldn't get me that far on a bus round Aberdeen!

Ye cannae even take a car tae Eigg at all unless you fit the bill. You can hire a bike or get a taxi once you are there.
My 94 year old dad and 92 year old mum can take a car to Eigg though. They have a blue badge.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 31, 2016, 12:24
:D... I'd like to get to Colonsay, me...there and Lismore, Raasay: do a bit of fieldwalking. There'll be something
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index