Done, some of the gang as well.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Getting TMA securely archived for posterity: EDS/anyone
Mar 28, 2016, 16:14
drewbhoy wrote:

Hi Drew...long time no see. How ya doin'?

Roy
GLADMAN
950 posts

Mar 28, 2016, 16:23
Good thread.

My comments were....

The site is a vastly more comprehensive online version of Julian Cope's 'The Modern Antiquarian' hardback book and, as such, has been fundamental in developing my personal interest in the prehistoric culture of the UK and beyond. Of far more importance, however, it has progressively - and demonstrably - helped to raise community awareness of the fragile state of a significant percentage of our tangible prehistoric remains, not least upland burial cairns subject to vandalism by walkers, and sites upon agricultural land subject to mistreatment by farmers. Members are encouraged to act as the 'eyes of the authorities' and report incidents to the appropriate bodies as and when noted. Therefore not only does this site serve as an, in my experience, unparalleled educational resource, but also serves as a 'watchdog' to help protect our prehistoric heritage for future generations.

It is my belief that this wonderful resource, established and maintained in such an altruistic manner by Mr Cope, should be safeguarded for all. It would be tragic to lose the results of countless hours of fieldwork by members across Europe.
carol27
747 posts

Mar 28, 2016, 18:23
spencer wrote:
As a byproduct of the MP app topic, it seems that the British Library has since 2013 been archiving websites nominated to it for posterity in the event of something unforseen happening to them..perhaps most worryingly the constant possibility - more certainty - that a solar flare wipes out data storage hubs. Search online for 'Carrington Event'. A flare of sufficient force narrowly missed us only a few years ago. One day one WILL hit. The Megalithic Portal has already been archived. Surely TMA deserves this too. Make it so. Please. http://www.webarchive.org.uk/ukwa/info/nominate

I'm doing it, I'm doing it:)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 28, 2016, 18:35
GLADMAN wrote:
Members are encouraged to act as the 'eyes of the authorities' and report incidents to the appropriate bodies as and when noted. Therefore not only does this site serve as an, in my experience, unparalleled educational resource, but also serves as a 'watchdog' to help protect our prehistoric heritage for future generations.

That's the crux, and it's a point that makes it urgent to get this done. EH et al can only inspect some sites every few years so getting the community to be the watchdog is crucial.

However, someone has put a comment on the Journal saying

"To be included in the open access web archive the site owner needs to nominate it. Since the e-legal deposit regulations came into force a few years ago it should be included in the whole UK domain web crawl, but the sites in that can presently only be viewed on a dedicated terminal in one of the UK copyright libraries".

I don't know what that all means but it seems a request needs to come from Mr Cope. Anyone here in touch with him?
carol27
747 posts

Mar 28, 2016, 19:56
nigelswift wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
Members are encouraged to act as the 'eyes of the authorities' and report incidents to the appropriate bodies as and when noted. Therefore not only does this site serve as an, in my experience, unparalleled educational resource, but also serves as a 'watchdog' to help protect our prehistoric heritage for future generations.

That's the crux, and it's a point that makes it urgent to get this done. EH et al can only inspect some sites every few years so getting the community to be the watchdog is crucial.

However, someone has put a comment on the Journal saying

"To be included in the open access web archive the site owner needs to nominate it. Since the e-legal deposit regulations came into force a few years ago it should be included in the whole UK domain web crawl, but the sites in that can presently only be viewed on a dedicated terminal in one of the UK copyright libraries".

I don't know what that all means but it seems a request needs to come from Mr Cope. Anyone here in touch with him?

I will ask fella to Twitter Mrs Dorian about it.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Mar 30, 2016, 09:18
Sanctuary wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:

Hi Drew...long time no see. How ya doin'?

Roy

Not bad Roy, I still post on TMA tho, I hope you are well :-) (I avoid head to head)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 08, 2016, 23:00
Anyone know if this has happened? Can't check myself.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index