Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 07, 2016, 10:20
A bypass through Avebury ??
Feb 07, 2016, 10:18
I've just seen this petition on one the UK Stone Circles Facebook Page ..
https://www.change.org/p/wiltshire-county-council-english-heritage-bypass-avebury-stone-circle

I can see why visitors to Avebury might think a bypass is a good idea as heavy goods vehicles do trundle through on a daily basis, not to mention high volumes of commuter traffic and two double decker buses an hour but where would a bypass go without destroying the World Heritage Site which includes Silbury and Windmill Hill. Quite a few people have signed the petition but I wonder how many of them could come up with a viable alternative route.
(PS: I haven't signed it.)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: A bypass through Avebury ??
Feb 07, 2016, 10:36
tjj wrote:
https://www.change.org/p/wiltshire-county-council-english-heritage-bypass-avebury-stone-circle

I can see why visitors to Avebury might think a bypass is a good idea as heavy goods vehicles do trundle through on a daily basis, not to mention high volumes of commuter traffic and two double decker buses an hour but where would a bypass go without destroying the World Heritage Site which includes Silbury and Windmill Hill. Quite a few people have signed the petition but I wonder how many of them could come up with a viable alternative route.

They could always utilise the Ridgeway Path :-)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 10:47
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:

They could always utilise the Ridgeway Path :-)

Haha! There is actually quite an interesting discussion taking place on the above mentioned FB page. General consensus is 'leave Avebury and its surrounds alone'. And 'take the 49 bus from Devizes or Swindon if you want to visit'.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 11:06
What fun!
It won't happen of course because unlike at Stonehenge the Tories can't get a million votes out of it.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 11:34
Great excuse to have another look at Jamie's LiDAR image of the surrounding area.

Nope, there is no feasible alternative route unless you go as far away as Calne!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 11:49
thesweetcheat wrote:
Great excuse to have another look at Jamie's LiDAR image of the surrounding area.

Nope, there is no feasible alternative route unless you go as far away as Calne!

That's it then...there's only one alternative...a tunnel!

(running for cover)
scubi63
463 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 13:18
My personal preference would be to restrict the road through the village to cars and buses only (except of access for deliveries) combined with a speed restriction of 20mph and speed bumps or priority chicanes to slow vehicles down. I would also have an extended speed restriction of 30mph between Winterbourne Bassett and the A4.
There are routes through both Marlborough and Calne (although Marlborough may need improving) which can be used to reach destinations along and beyond the A4 The above restrictions would go some way to make the route through the village less of a option for any vehicle unless specifically needing to get to Avebury or surrounding villages.

:) .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 14:54
Some improvements were proposed https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/avebury-parish-traffic-plan/ but how much progress has been made I don't know. Foundered on the rocks of County Council bureaucracy perhaps.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 19:00
scubi63 wrote:
My personal preference would be to restrict the road through the village to cars and buses only (except of access for deliveries) combined with a speed restriction of 20mph and speed bumps or priority chicanes to slow vehicles down. I would also have an extended speed restriction of 30mph between Winterbourne Bassett and the A4.
There are routes through both Marlborough and Calne (although Marlborough may need improving) which can be used to reach destinations along and beyond the A4 The above restrictions would go some way to make the route through the village less of a option for any vehicle unless specifically needing to get to Avebury or surrounding villages.

:) .

I agree with all that you have said Scubi. The discussion has been ongoing for many years now - some of us drop of the end and new people come along to keep it going. Sometimes one of them starts a petition - without thinking through the 'bigger picture' i.e. the impact on the World Heritage Site.

What has always puzzled me about the Avebury WHS is how little provision is made for pedestrians - which is all visitors once they have parked their car or alighted from a bus. There are no designated pedestrian crossings or traffic calming measures anywhere in Avebury, although most drivers do stick to the 30 mph speed restriction.
Far more dangerous, is crossing the A4 from the Ridgeway to East Kennett (a very popular crossing point for walkers) or from Waden Hill over to West Kennet Long Barrow. The proposals referred to by Nigel in the Avebury Parish Traffic Plan seem to have gone very quiet.
carol27
747 posts

Feb 07, 2016, 19:11
tjj wrote:

As an only occasional visitor to Avebury I do find the heavy traffic through it quite disturbing & in an ideal world it should be prohibited; similarly around Silbury,so a bypass would be a good idea, apart from the 49 bus maybe. Isn't there somewhere near where a decent car park with a ride in or walk in facilities are available. Am I being a non native numpty?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index