Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The Fundamental Shift
Nov 27, 2015, 15:15
moss wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
]

Hi Moss
Regarding the Hurlers, next year we will be doing this down in Cornywall...
http://www.cornwallheritagetrust.org/reading-the-hurlers-project-receives-33700-from-heritage-lottery-fund/

Love the Hurlers, from that first moment when we arrived at the car park in Minions, leapt out in the pouring rain and came upon those grey ghosts of stones, they have 'attitude'. Then of course the 'crystal path' added to the mystery, so no wonder they want to explore more thoroughly. Enjoy.

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/PICTURES-Digging-clues-Hurlers-crystal-path/story-19831716-detail/story.html

We are working with James next week at the Stripple Stones. Top man.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re:Worthy endeavours
Nov 27, 2015, 18:23
Ah. Well done fellow Pumpers and TMAers too, then. I wish I wasn't up the other end of the country. With you in spirit.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2015, 22:54
Nov 27, 2015, 22:53
Nice post Carol. Have been on Cope's site since late 1990's and in some ways my journey has mirrored Copes to some degree, good times and bad, kids, learning to drive, a growing excitement at prehistory etc... (well except the rock star bit).

Don't post on TMA any where near as much as I used to, but I do read most of the posts from the sidelines in a terrible stalkery fashion. My inroads into the past were via old 70's programmes like Chronicle, In Search Of and Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World. Never believed in faeries or spirits etc. I'm too much of a rationalist for that. My interest and love of history, and particularly prehistory has never gone away, perhaps it's the mystery of not knowing, when almost everything is explained away these days. Think it's that 'connection' to those folk I feel whenever I visit a place, tomb, settlement etc.... Like yourself, don't believe in gods/goddesses, but I have come to realise over the years that I am a deeply spiritual person, and something about these places definitely stirs something deep down in me. Maybe it's that realization that we'll never truly understand the people, their lives or their mindset that draws me in.

Perhaps the place that has moved me the most in terms of feeling a connection to our forbears isn't a site or a tomb as such, but are those wonderful Iron Age (I think?) footprints uncovered after storms on Formby Point beach (they showed them on the TV prog Coast I think). A wonderfully tangible, though ephemeral moment in time captured in the silts and clays of a warm/hot day, several millennia ago are a joy to behold. Perhaps it's because I know that in a few tides time, they will be washed away, never to 'be' again. Kids running, wild animals being tracked, animals that are no longer alive in Britain, it's a special place, and scratches the double itch of loving beaches and our lost past.

I've just returned from a wonderful hiking holiday in Suffolk. If there was weather that wasn't thrown at me during my hikes, I'd like to know of it. It made me realise how hardy our forebears were. In all my 21st century gear, I was still cold and wet all day many days. It gave me a newfound respect for our (even quite recent) ancestors. In November, the Suffolk coast is a truly wild place, the sea and wind sculpted and shaped the beach almost daily. I stayed at a place called Kessingland Beach, a cheap and cheery holiday chalet. Whilst there I found out that some of the earliest remains of 'human' habitation have been found nearby dating to 700 000 years BCE. An amount of zero's it's hard to comprehend in human lifetimes, and it's a time before humans were humans (Homo Heidelburgensis I believe the finds were attributed to). It's an easily accessible, but truly a magical place.

On the last hour of the last day, slightly reluctant to head home whilst the beach was empty, the sun was out and the wind blew ringlets in my hair, I found what I thought was possibly a flint scraper on the foreshore. Now, in all my years of 'mooching' I've never found anything, let alone anything prehistoric, not a sausage. The way that stone felt in my hand was a thrill. It fit my small hands perfectly. To say I was excited would be an understatement. I only picked it up cos' it had a lovely shape, colour and patina. Anyhoo, after contacting the portable antiquities in Suffolk (in case they wanted a butchers at it) I was told that it was probably a natural 'pot lid' type flint, which I could go along with, but (the lovely lady also said) because of the recent storms, and the fact that it had been on the beach for a while, it could well be a scraper, albeit one that is badly worn and eroded. Anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, it's a scraper :)

Give Kessingland a visit, it's a wild and wonderful place.
ironstone
62 posts

Nov 28, 2015, 12:44
Yup, this pretty much hits the spot for me, writing as I am just after returning from a trip to Aberdeenshire managing to visit Tomnaverie, Old Keig, Cothiemuir Wood, Cullerlie and Tyrebagger all in one magically sun-spangled day with patches of snow still sprinkled picturesquely on the ground and no-one else present at any of these five sites to disturb my rapt appreciation and contemplation. And I did it all without any OS maps, reliant solely on the roadmap and TMA directions so a big thankyou to all previous posts. Plus I got to revisit my favourite Sunhoney the next morning thus fulfilling a promise made 7 years ago. If anyone fancies a good read about prehistory then I recommend Francis Pryor's 'Home'; he may come across as a bit of a blowhard on Time Team but he sure knows his Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze/Iron Ages.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2015, 19:12
Nov 28, 2015, 19:11
If anyone fancies a good read about prehistory then I recommend Francis Pryor's 'Home'; he may come across as a bit of a blowhard on Time Team but he sure knows his Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze/Iron Ages.

Funnily enough, just picked the book up from the library this very afternoon after having it reserved for ages. Enjoyed his other books 'BC' and 'Seahenge' immensely, so here's hoping this reads as well

Also picked up Phillip Marsden's 'On Rising Ground', which seems to be about the spirit of place....mostly relating to Cornwall by the look of chapter headings. Should be good.

Also an interesting sounding treatise called 'On Silbury' Hill by Adam Thorpe. Know his novels, but not read any of his factual/poetry stuff, looking forward to that as well.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2015, 10:39
Nov 29, 2015, 10:35
Monganaut wrote:
If anyone fancies a good read about prehistory then I recommend Francis Pryor's 'Home'; he may come across as a bit of a blowhard on Time Team but he sure knows his Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze/Iron Ages.
Funnily enough, just picked the book up from the library this very afternoon after having it reserved for ages. Enjoyed his other books 'BC' and 'Seahenge' immensely, so here's hoping this reads as well
Also picked up Phillip Marsden's 'On Rising Ground', which seems to be about the spirit of place....mostly relating to Cornwall by the look of chapter headings. Should be good.
Also an interesting sounding treatise called 'On Silbury' Hill by Adam Thorpe. Know his novels, but not read any of his factual/poetry stuff, looking forward to that as well.

Just to say how much I enjoyed the other post you made under this thread Monganaut.
'Home' and 'On Rising Ground' both sound good, will start dropping hints ...
'On Silbury Hill' was Book of the Week on R4, earlier this year (or maybe last year, time flies).
Am currently in the closing chapters of Neil Oliver's first historical novel about the siege of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks a story of "honour, betrayal and destiny". He did manage to start it in the Borderlands of Scotland, a stone circle and neolithic burial chamber get a mention (Chapter 9 I think). Wasn't sure about his style at first but once he gets into his stride it is a cracking good read.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2015, 14:10
Nov 29, 2015, 14:04
Many thanks Sirah!

You got me wondering if the 'On Silbury Hill' prog is still up on BBC iPlayer, will have a mocheth right now!

Also, big sucker for historical romps, so that Neil Oliver book sounds right up me path, cheers for the heads up.

'Edit' How did I miss that, Bah, not up anymore - why leave the tantilising pages up to find though :( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fhkk1

Oooh, pity this one isn 't up as well.
Silbury: Heart Of The Hill - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0084l01
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index