13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Newgrange. First light:the origins of Newgrange
Jun 27, 2015, 22:16
tiompan wrote:

Hello tjj , glad there wasn't too many typos etc .

If you are happy to use Amazon , I think it’s probably a few quid cheaper .

Dates : Passage Tombs,type 1date from 3750-3500 BC ,even the later type 3 are much earlier than the earliest Wedge tombs .
Wedge Tombs , as of 2008 there are only 6 tombs that have provided RC dates and they are pretty tight , suggesting deposition around 2500-2300 BC , these dates are supported by the ceramics which fit into the same period .
Distribution :Wedge tombs tend to be found in the West
Passage graves :the majority are in the north and north east .
Architecture : Passage graves have a passage , even if only paired small stones as might be found at type 1 monuments , the chambers are very small and there is usually a surrounding kerb .
Wedge tombs : Wedge shaped i.e. roof slopes and walls narrow ,chambers are much bigger than type 1 passage graves .

I bought the Thomas book when it was first published , to be blunt , I think it’s rubbish .

Thanks for your clear explanation of passage tombs Tiompan - I haven't actually visited any as yet but hope to go to that part of Ireland next year, sooner if at all possible (financially).

I must have picked up the N.L. Thomas book when I was in West Cork three years ago. I mentioned it as he was talking about Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth, Fourknocks, Loughcrew etc. As you will remember he has based his book on deciphering inscriptions suggesting that the people who made them did so to illustrate a sixteen month calendar. He also draws comparisons in his preface with Australian aboriginal paintings ... it all feels a bit 'last century' but then it was. The chapter on Legend and Myth is worth reading, the map at the front of book detailing where the monuments are is helpful. I really do need to visit the Boyne monuments.

Thanks for bearing with me on the wedge tomb question - I hadn't realised there was at least a millennium difference in the time line. (As in the difference between West Kennett Long Barrow and Avebury/Silbury).

All the best
tj

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index