tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Newgrange. First light:the origins of Newgrange
Jun 27, 2015, 17:30
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
The Eternal wrote:
Hi All,

Has anyone read 'First Light: the Origins of Newgrange'?
I'm interested on whether it's got anything else to add other than guesswork.

Ta,

TE.

There's not a huge amount of books about the the Irish passage graves ,so a new one is welcome . I enjoyed it , it's main concern is the evolution of the monuments and as such a typology is intoduced . Type 1 is the earlier monuments with small with the chambers usually surrounded by a circle of boulders with little space between them discouraging access . They have a rudimentary passage no covering cairn , art , associated astronomy and were too smll to allow for access for rituals and if there were any it would have to have been outside the monument .e.g. much of the Carrowmore complex . Type 2 allowed access and repeated entry into the chamber , they have art , astro associations , are much bigger than earlier , corbelled roofs , in relatively more isolated situations , more recesses and are also the most common of the monument type (75%) e.g. Seefin ,Knockmany , Belmore etc . Type 3 were even bigger , had straightened facades, platforms ,greater association with quartz ,stone settings , kerbstone art ,associated linear monumnets and prestige artefacts e.g. Knowth ,Knockroe , Newgrange etc.
The weakest part of the book for me is suggestion of a connection between the types and the two modes of religiosity and ritual proposed by Harvey Whitehouse i.e. Imagistic and Doctrinal with type 1 being associated with the former and type 2 and 3 with the latter the binary distinction is too neat and there is no mention that Whithouse accepts that both can be be found to co-exist in the same cosmology/culture.
As the author does know the subject , it is informed guesswork and he is never dogmatic when there is doubt .

Hello Tiompan, good to see both yourself and The Eternal on TMA ... I've missed your input. Your analysis of the book was easy to follow and am very tempted to buy it for myself, it seems to be $26 online which I guess is around £20
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/dbbc/first-light.html

I was wondering where wedge tombs fit into it, if at all - would they fall into Type 1 - or are they only found in the south west of Ireland.
Also, I have Neil Thomas's book "Irish Symbols of 3500" which was written in 1988. In your view, do his interpretations of the symbols still stand as a relevant work?

Hello tjj , glad there wasn't too many typos etc .

If you are happy to use Amazon , I think it’s probably a few quid cheaper .

Dates : Passage Tombs,type 1date from 3750-3500 BC ,even the later type 3 are much earlier than the earliest Wedge tombs .
Wedge Tombs , as of 2008 there are only 6 tombs that have provided RC dates and they are pretty tight , suggesting deposition around 2500-2300 BC , these dates are supported by the ceramics which fit into the same period .
Distribution :Wedge tombs tend to be found in the West
Passage graves :the majority are in the north and north east .
Architecture : Passage graves have a passage , even if only paired small stones as might be found at type 1 monuments , the chambers are very small and there is usually a surrounding kerb .
Wedge tombs : Wedge shaped i.e. roof slopes and walls narrow ,chambers are much bigger than type 1 passage graves .

I bought the Thomas book when it was first published , to be blunt , I think it’s rubbish .

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index