Time to stop solstice stones access

49 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Mar 04, 2015, 08:04
Re: King Arthur responds
Mar 04, 2015, 08:04
This account by a senior officer really needs airing far and wide.

"I would like to add my thoughts to the debate about open access to the Stones at Solstice.I would prefer to be anonymous for professional reasons.

I have attended several of the summer Solstice events in a professional capacity as a senior officer in one of the statutory emergency services. I have witnessed first hand the heartbreak that the staff feel when they reclaim the area within the circle the morning after. I have seen guardians in tears at the insults wrought to the monument, the appalling stench, the rubbish, the vandalism, beer cans wedged into cracks in the stones, urine, vomit and faeces everywhere.

The majority seems to have little care for an ancient monument, and utterly disrespect it.

One member of staff (NT or EH, can’t remember), whilst starting to collect the detritus, in tears, muttered “364 days a year we protect and care for this place, 364 days a year, and then this happens in one night”. But they always manage to clear the rubbish up and get the site open again. The smell lingers, though, for days."
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index