Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: King Arthur responds
Mar 05, 2015, 08:42
Howburn Digger wrote:
tjj wrote:
To me it seems the entry fee to Stonehenge is over-priced. It should be kept under £10, people wanting to visit at Solstice should have to pay the same fee - with a limited number places available. Let the Druids have their rituals - after they've paid the entry fee like everyone else.

The price of seeing The Stonehenge should be kept to under 10p (for those who actually want to pay). Every sightseer should be compelled to line up in height order though. The visitors should them be made to approach the stones in line with their eyes closed and then limited to no more than a minute of viewing (in case their eyes suck in too much of "Ye Magik Of Ye Stonehenge". They can open their eyes on the way back but not turn around and look again (anyone doing so should be forced to dance a samba while being jeered and mocked by judges from Strictly Come Dancing).

Those who decide to contribute a sum (of no more than 10p) should be personally thanked by someone dressed in a D'Oily Carte Light Opera Company admiral's uniform (the "admiral" can be a lady or a gentleman but they must be wearing a monocle). Those monies collected should be directed to National Organisations like "Riding For The Confused", "Save The Wasp" and "Woodwork For The Short-As-Two-Thick-Planks".

Hahaha! Such a witty response deserves a witty reply ... hope someone comes up with one.
I had my eyes opened about Stonehenge last summer when with a friend I walked from Woodhenge, following the helpful interpretation panels along the way. The best views of Stonehenge are from some distance off, following the route of the Avenue uphill is a worthwhile experience. I felt a bit sorry for the hundreds of visitors, many of whom had been brought by coach, to pay nearly £15 a time and yet they were missing out of the 'hidden' Stonehenge - which is actually free and and in clear view. From the landscape it looks down on.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index