Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Circle or other remains with most beautiful immediate surroundings?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Jan 30, 2015, 18:19
Circle or other remains with most beautiful immediate surroundings?
Jan 30, 2015, 16:06
Prompted by June mentioning snowdrops... any site with them, or primroses, bluebells, siler birches, anenomes, orchids etc or any combination of the above growing round, in or very near? Just 'naturally pretty' for want of a better phrase.....(yet another)EDIT: add heather, watercourses...you get the gist.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Circle or other remains with most beautiful immediate surroundings?
Jan 30, 2015, 16:41
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/96/roughting_linn.html
Is a riot of bluebells at the right time . The wee waterfall adds to the bucolic charm .
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jan 30, 2015, 17:31
West Tump is pretty special, in its beech wood.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/74205/west_tump.html

In terms of flora, the Cotswolds really seem at their best in the Spring.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jan 30, 2015, 17:44
Jan 30, 2015, 17:43
Stoney Littleton in summer; Walk down the lane, cross the Wellow brook, with trailing water flowers and demoiselle damselflies dancing around, then up through the field, past the 'stoney bit' which can't be ploughed and always has its quota of wildflowers. Then the barrow itself covered with thyme, oxeye daisy, orchids and sweet smelling ladies bedstraw - can't beat it ;)
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 30, 2015, 18:17
Sounds lovely
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2015, 09:34
Jan 30, 2015, 19:40
thesweetcheat wrote:

In terms of flora, the Cotswolds really seem at their best in the Spring.

Ahh! You've mentioned the beautiful Cotswolds - wild garlic, woods in dappled sunlight and the silvery sound of fast running streams cannot fail to lift the spirits.

For my ancient monument I'm going choose Silbury and Waden Hill.
Waden Hill - some years covered in dandelions/dandelion clocks, other times it's Michaelmas daisies. Silbury sometimes shrouded in mist, or covered in snow; sometimes seeming to float in a lake of water. Last year there were wild orchids growing in the grass between Silbury and the A4.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jan 30, 2015, 20:23
It's funny, spring used to be my least favourite season. I have a birthday affinity for russet autumn, a gothic appreciation of monochrome winter, and a holiday romance with vibrant summer, but always found spring a bit dull.

But now I yearn for spring each year, the return of life and colour.
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Jan 30, 2015, 22:58
Yorks / Notts / Derbys border - it is really worth a trip out ... wander up the canal towpath and visit the nearby Spring Wood, especially at bluebell time! I don't know if there are any stones there, but it is like stepping into heaven, regardless!

http://wiki.worldflicks.org/turnerwood.html

If I knew how to do it, I'd upload some stunning photos my friend took in Spring Wood.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 31, 2015, 09:08
What miracles you have performed Spencer ;) look what is happening round Stonehenge.. Did you know?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/county_news/11762445.Hundreds_of_wildflowers_planted_near_Stonehenge_to_boost_butterfly_numbers/
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 31, 2015, 09:17
moss wrote:

That's great news isn't it. There was a mass of red poppies growing near the Visitor's Centre last summer (apt, as Airman's Corner).
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index