drewbhoy
2559 posts

Re: 'The Living Mountain'
Jan 09, 2015, 13:39
tjj wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
tjj wrote:
thelonious wrote:
Should be up online later tonight. Nice programme about a great book :)

I like this
http://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poetry/poems/hill-burns

A beautiful poem - thank you. I think you will like the chapter in Robert Macfarlane's book. I love these sentences about Nan Shepherd's writing
"... the exploratory movement out into the wild landscape simultaneous with the confirming movement back into the self - lends her poems their uncanny atmosphere, whereby the hills are both hostile and habitual, unsettling and enfolding. This is keenest in the four short lyrics written in Doric, the north-east dialect of Scots, which stud the book like garnets in granite."

Jist fir you i'll spik in doric. An affa guid pictur at. E quine fae Eberdeen deen affa weel an weel thocht o in these pairts. Jist seen it jist noo, fair cleemer in hich places nae far awa. Affa fine te hear aboot Neil Gunn ina.

I hoped you would Drew - as Nan Shepherd was from near Aberdeen, she is one of your own. I should have mentioned Neil Gunn too, with whom she had "a flirty and intellectually ardent correspondence". I will check out his work as although I've heard the name, haven't actually read anything by him... as yet.

The Silver Bough, is set in and around an old chamber cairn. Good read!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index