Best site visited 2014

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Dec 24, 2014, 16:59
Re: Best site visited 2014
Dec 24, 2014, 08:09
Jarlshof - my favourite site of this year. Just fantastic.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3140/jarlshof.html

Also

Ronas Hill - After looking at Ronas Hill on the OS map so many times it was great to finally make it here. Not been the best of years but reaching this site made me feel like things were going to be OK.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/13672/ronas_hill.html

Dun-Da-Lamh - I'd been on this hill some years back but missed this dun. Good to get back. Top site.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/10614/dundalamh.html

Cnoc Odhar - because it was just a perfect day.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/16570/cnoc_odhar.html
GLADMAN
950 posts

Dec 25, 2014, 11:04
thelonious wrote:
Ronas Hill - After looking at Ronas Hill on the OS map so many times it was great to finally make it here. Not been the best of years but reaching this site made me feel like things were going to be OK.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/13672/ronas_hill.html

Really like the look of this one. Isn't it great how visiting an old heap of stones can sometimes put life in perspective?
thelonious
330 posts

Dec 25, 2014, 14:54
GLADMAN wrote:
Really like the look of this one. Isn't it great how visiting an old heap of stones can sometimes put life in perspective?

Life can and should be simple. I just need to remind my brain of that sometimes.
Places like Ronas help a lot. If you get a chance to visit Gladman, I would love to read your thoughts on this old heap of stones and its place in the landscape :)
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Dec 25, 2014, 23:36
Meallach's Grave - July 2014

Our usual Arran summer holiday jaunt. A sunny wander round the woods and burns at Monamore led us up to a whole hillside that had been clear felled. My 12 year old boy found his first wild lizard. On the way back down to the car and hungry for our tea at the Lamlash Bay Hotel I noticed the sign for Meallach's Grave. I hadn't been up there in quarter of a century. My better half and the wee fella wandered on down to the car and I made the wee detour to call on Meallach.
As the last few feet of the climb drew me on to the site, the North Arran peaks all reared up and peered over the long spine of A' Chruach. Twenty feet below and you wouldn't see any of the tops, and when the forestry was there you saw nothing. At the site all the forestry and fern, heather and branches which had so cluttered up the place were gone. The trees which hemmed in the place had vanished. A kerb feature which I'd not seen before was evident. The whole place had been transformed.
It was a wonderful, unexpected visit made better by the opening up and clearing of the site. I practically bounded back to the car with joy in my steps. The freshly-made pizza and ice-cold pint of a popular Italian lager capped it all off.
Cheers Meallach!
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 31, 2014, 12:49
My first solo holiday in over twenty years, when work got the better of me in Sept saw me visit Dumfries and Galloway for the first time. What a really wonderful part of the world, and seemingly lightly visited by TMAers with the exception of GLADMAN, Postman and ironstone in recent times. Those who can: GO. Cairnholy was a must see, and delivered - Cairnholy 2's my current avatar - but even this was exeeded in ambience by the Mull of Galloway. On a sunny evening stand on top of Lagvag cairn, Scotland's most southerly archaeological feature, and look across to the IoM, Ireland, Lakeland, the Solway and Whithorn...you can ignore the presence of the ill-sited storage tank for the lighthouse alongside. Just take it in. The linear defences that cross the isthmus south of East and West Tarbet bays are also worthy of a very good explore, and are of national noteworthiness. I also had a good wander round the sheltered area on the E side of the Mull, and found patches of sorrel, as on previous visits to sites on Scotland's West Coast, and I am convinced this is an indicator of ancient habitation. There are other attractions for those visiting with people less interested in the archaeo side.. climbing the lighthouse and descending the steps to the cliff edge foghorn is a must, as is the Gallie Craig shop/restauraut, which has been blended into the hillside...and you can stay in the lighthouse cottages at very reasonable rates, particularily out of termtime. This site has been comparably little excavated, although gold items were found in the C19. If Time Team were ever to do a Mick Aston memorial dig it is this place that would get my vote. Stunning.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 31, 2014, 17:58
Sounds great, we've always sped past that part of Scotland on the train. Really must investigate one day.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 31, 2014, 18:20
TURN LEFT AT GRETNA (if you're driving up from London way, that is. If you turn right you can drive all the way to St Petersburg. Its the N75 Euroroute, the other end being Stranraer. Not a lot of people know that. You may get a little bit damp along the way, though)
thelonious
330 posts

Dec 31, 2014, 19:00
I very much agree with you about Dumfries and Galloway, especially Mull of Galloway, fantastic area. I will long remember the view across to the Isle of Man and beyond from the lighthouse. Whilst I love all things megalithic, my true obsession is visiting coffee shops and for me the Gallie Craig Coffee House is as good as it gets. It's in my top ten of all time :)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Dec 31, 2014, 19:38
Dec 31, 2014, 19:32
Agreed. I've been working my butt off this year, was the last customer in there before they stopped serving food at 5pm, and thought 'dammit, if I haven't earnt a treat now, when?', and sat out alone on that spectacular cliff edge outside dining area with a lovely plate of haddock and chips and a pot of tea, watching the sun sink over Ireland. Bloody perfect : ) http://www.galliecraig.co.uk Lighthouse self catering: http://www.lighthouseholidaycottages.co.uk
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 31, 2014, 20:01
spencer wrote:
TURN LEFT AT GRETNA (if you're driving up from London way, that is. If you turn right you can drive all the way to St Petersburg. Its the N75 Euroroute, the other end being Stranraer. Not a lot of people know that. You may get a little bit damp along the way, though)

He might be tempted to stop there with the g/f ;-)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index