Best site visited 2014

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Best site visited 2014
Dec 31, 2014, 21:02
So? It'll only take about ten minutes there, and it doesn't change your life a bit ; )
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 31, 2014, 21:11
spencer wrote:
So? It'll only take about ten minutes there, and it doesn't change your life a bit ; )

Quite right, it doesn't change your life a bit...it changes it a lot!!! :-)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 31, 2014, 23:18
Shhhh!!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 31, 2014, 23:24
spencer wrote:
Shhhh!!

Is that another lager being opened?
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 01, 2015, 01:07
Um.... I'd give it a few hours if I were you
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jan 01, 2015, 12:19
Not sure the train driver will allow that...
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jan 01, 2015, 12:44
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sounds great, we've always sped past that part of Scotland on the train.

Beeching shut Galloway down fifty years ago. The train used to run between Dumfries and Stranraer. When the line was closed it effectively shut down Galloway. It was a vicious and cruel thing to do to the population.

But at one time the train DID run and tiny little bits of evidence do exist.

http://youtu.be/PU-yhABM4bg

Galloway was my back door while I grew up. I wandered its hills and woods, fished its lochs, rivers and burns and trod the weary miles across its moors and bogs. I still do. There are Spring and Summer wanders. I Gatehouse every October for a week. I fish for the back-end Salmon on a cheap beat on the Urr. I often take a wee wander round Moniaive at the weekend.
There is much more to Galloway than The Wicker Man areas.
Venture North to Kirriereoch and Merrick, visit on The Awful Hand and The Murder Hole, take the weird road to Garlieston and see the wondrous RA that is scattered across Eggerness and Penkiln (though you cannae see the Mulberry Harbour anymore).

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/232807

Just don't tell anyone about Galloway.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 01, 2015, 14:13
Jan 01, 2015, 13:56
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT YOUTUBE VID. I'm a railway buff too, walked over Big Water of Fleet viaduct in September, must get my pics uploaded to Flickr. Closure of the Port Line was madness, even evil. The timing of the week long survey of passenger/traffic numbers upon which the decisions to close lines nationally was based beggars belief. With the reopening of the Borders Railway (with frequent steam trips, yay!), I still hope that one day this line reopens too...they're still keeping quiet about the massive oilfields found in the Irish Sea off Galloway in the '80's, Loch Ryan and Stranraer will one day be as bustling a place as Aberdeen, imo, and that line's reopening would be a viable option. I do wonder if the upgrading of the A(N)75 is a discrete prelude...(bye the bye, my late Dad was one of the Mulberry boffins.. I went to Garlieston for a look)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 01, 2015, 16:21
spencer wrote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT YOUTUBE VID. I'm a railway buff too, walked over Big Water of Fleet viaduct in September, must get my pics uploaded to Flickr. Closure of the Port Line was madness, even evil. The timing of the week long survey of passenger/traffic numbers upon which the decisions to close lines nationally was based beggars belief. With the reopening of the Borders Railway (with frequent steam trips, yay!), I still hope that one day this line reopens too...they're still keeping quiet about the massive oilfields found in the Irish Sea off Galloway in the '80's, Loch Ryan and Stranraer will one day be as bustling a place as Aberdeen, imo, and that line's reopening would be a viable option. I do wonder if the upgrading of the A(N)75 is a discrete prelude...(bye the bye, my late Dad was one of the Mulberry boffins.. I went to Garlieston for a look)

We used to live adjacent to the track on the Mid Hants (Watercress Line) railway just outside of New Alresford in Hampshire. I had full permission to walk the track and adjoining land for seven miles as I used to keep the rabbit population down (I could tell you some stories there as well!!) as they used to burrow into the various cuttings and bring the banks down!
The following clip is of the chuff-chuffs and right at the end you will see what used to be our house on the left as the train passes through before the clip finishes.
http://youtu.be/cjh4SgicgSk
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 01, 2015, 17:30
Brings back memories... I used to nip down to the Mid-Hants when living in Surbiton. My volunteering days are over, I think, but I live where I do now and have three wunnerful daughters as a result of a 'railway marriage'.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index