tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2014, 12:28
Re: Winter Solstice Plans
Dec 14, 2014, 12:27
nigelswift wrote:
Fascinating.
I'm prepared to forgive EH and the Druids for following the backwards drift of the solar solstice relative to calendars, as it makes more sense to look at where the sun is than where the calendar is.

BUT:
For EH to be letting people into an astronomical observatory to observe what the builders built it to observe, they need to put themselves in the shoes of the Man on the Salisbury Plain around about now, armed only with eyeballs and sticks, assuming it hadn't yet been built. Which sunsets (and other evidence indicates it is sunsets) would he observe as the most "extreme" - given the actual horizon he would most probably have experienced thousands of years ago?

Maybe I'm being a bit pernickity but I've still to get over this https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/mystic-meg-to-be-given-advisory-role-at-stonehenge/
What with that, and the fact they holding a sunrise event for no understandable reason and they spend a lot of my money on it, they need to put it on a more convincing basis IMO.

There is also the problem that the practice of "observing the solstice " is conjecture.Simply because a monument has an alignment to an astronimical event doesn't mean that punters made a point of observing it every year after the initial observation to find the alignment was made .The case at Newgrange is even more obvious ,it was blocked off .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index