26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dave1982
83 posts

Re: Stonehenge Y&Z holes evidence of farming calendar
Dec 03, 2014, 21:16
tiompan wrote:
Dave ,
the declination of the sunrise at the winter solstice sunrise around 2500 bc is - 24 and summer solstice sunrise is +24 .
It is when the combination of latitude , altitude, azimuth of the event , combine to produce via the formula for declination ,a declination of +or 24 we know that we have a alignment that would would work for the solstice of the period . Today , because of the change in obliquity the declination would be closer to + or - 23 .5 .

Ummm, yeah, I have to admit I'm a bit lost here. What units are the 24s in? And what are they + and - to ? Sorry about my ignorance.

I've surfed for the declination (angle) of path of the rising sun to the azimuth (far horizon) but have found nothing. I wonder if the curve of the rising sun has ever been calculated ? This is well in advance of my education and I may have to drop this, and just make an intelligent guess by checking the horizon via Streetview. Not very scientific I know : ) but if this theory ever attracts serious attention I'll leave it to the serious academics to do a rigorous examination ! (such as yourself perhaps?)

: )

Dave1982
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index