Stonehenge Y&Z holes evidence of farming calendar

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Stonehenge Y&Z holes evidence of farming calendar
Nov 29, 2014, 10:57
I thought the current thinking on SH was it was a place of the dead and the ancestors. Not sure they'd stick 'the farmers daily' in amongst all that 'dread & dead'. If your looking for farming alignments/ arrangements, surely better looking towards woodhenge or Durrington Walls or the like. Take your pick at Woodhenge really, It would be difficult not to find an alignment to something there.

Fascinating what you were saying about farmng in Yemen, do you think it was always so? That the peeps of the region had no use for 'solar calanders' so didn't build them. I guess when you have a predictable weather pattern, give or take a week or two, you most important resorce wouldbe water, flooding or irrigation. Ashamed to say, other than the later periods, don't know anything about the prehistory of the region.

The only thing you can say about the UK is that freak weather is the norm, and I guess it must have always been so. Found a web page somewhere that went through historical journals, almanacs, church records and the like and put together a potted history of our weather going back to almost the 10th century. Truth be told, wasn't that different to what we've experienced weatherwise over the last century or so. Well except those mini ice ages around the 14th century.

Up unti the end of the Bronze Age, I was led to believe that it was generally a warmer, more stable period weatherwise (hence farming and habitation on Dartmoor, Exmoor, Bodmn and other higher regions), so maybe farming was more predictable and productive, and life a little easier. All to do with Stadial and interstadial 'ice age epochs' or something. I mean even today, if you consider the latitude we inhabit, cos' of the Gulf Stream we have it a lot easier than say Russia, Sweden, Mongolia, Denmark, Germany, Canada etc... to name a fraction of the countries around the 49th parallel. I guess freak weather is the payoff for our relatively mild climate, and that may have informed the type of monument/calanders built.

I've lost my train of thought somwhere there, but can't be arsed to edit it, sorry :)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index