The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
In passing....

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

In passing....
Sep 08, 2014, 13:56
OK, it's 800 years off being prehistoric but isn't this a brilliant story?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2745337/Britain-s-smallest-chapel-chance-owner-clears-away-rubble.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: In passing....
Sep 08, 2014, 13:59
nigelswift wrote:

Is it the cross above the doorway that makes it a chapel :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Sep 08, 2014, 19:09
Great stuff Nigel, thanks for that (although couldn't you have found it somewhere less Murdoch-y?).

Is it really the smallest? I'm sure there are competitors...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 08, 2014, 19:47
St Trillos is tiny.
I guess we're horribly O/T but now I look, some of these places are fantastic - and actually have a similar vibe to stone circles and whatnot. 1500 years of worship maybe soaks into the stones, d'you reckon?

So NOT o/t at all Ed. ;)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Sep 08, 2014, 20:32
Yeah, I agree. There's a few that have snuck on here in the guise of holy wells. There's some lovely ones in Cornwall (Madron obviously springs to mind).
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 07:16
thesweetcheat wrote:
Yeah, I agree. There's a few that have snuck on here in the guise of holy wells. There's some lovely ones in Cornwall (Madron obviously springs to mind).

Ah glad you mentioned Madron well Alken...where actually is it? I have seen photos of the well head but it's not where people hang their clouties along the path to the baptistery is it that I was taken to? You'd be more likely to get cholera drinking that disgusting water :-). Liked the baptistery though.
Picked this up off the web...accurate? http://www.cornishancientsites.com/Madron%20Well%20&%20Baptistry.pdf
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 08:12
nigelswift wrote:

While we are on tiny chapels, the Guernsey one is a work of art. Saw it as a kid when the family had a day out ferry trip from Jersey.
http://www.thelittlechapel.org/history.asp
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 09:38
Sanctuary wrote:

I only skimmed through but yeah, looks accurate! :) Last time I went someone (probably CASPN or similar) had laid out a sort of a log path to it. I doubt I'd have found it were it not for the path. Mind you, on my visits, it's been so flooded it's difficult to see anything, but it's a wonderfully secluded location... Get yerself in touch with one of the wells groups - I'm pretty sure Cheryl Straffon does walks around there throughout the year. :)

G
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 09:45
goffik wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

I only skimmed through but yeah, looks accurate! :) Last time I went someone (probably CASPN or similar) had laid out a sort of a log path to it. I doubt I'd have found it were it not for the path. Mind you, on my visits, it's been so flooded it's difficult to see anything, but it's a wonderfully secluded location... Get yerself in touch with one of the wells groups - I'm pretty sure Cheryl Straffon does walks around there throughout the year. :)

G

Cheers Goff. I got eaten alive by the buzzy things around the cholera pit two weeks ago!! Went to Sancreed well also on the day. Nice.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 09, 2014, 10:43
Sanctuary wrote:
goffik wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

G

Cheers Goff. I got eaten alive by the buzzy things around the cholera pit two weeks ago!! Went to Sancreed well also on the day. Nice.

Oh and the Carn Euny too. You could say well, well, well :-)
I guess *most* villages/hamlets must have had one at some stage?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index