Grime's Graves »
Grimes Graves - Trip Adviser

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CARL
511 posts

Grimes Graves - Trip Adviser
Aug 20, 2014, 13:16
I am hoping to visit Grimes Graves in October so (as I had nothing else to do) thought I would have a look at some of the reviews of the place on Trip Advisor. Although most were positive these made me smile.
I guess you can’t please all of the people all of the time!

‘We went to Grimes Graves expecting to have a full day of going through Caves this was not the case!! We paid £15 for the three of us and a guide book, we went to the cave and climbed down a ladder and it was just a big hole!! We highly disappointed and headed home shortly after!!’

‘Top tip! Don't bother! Go down a ladder expecting to go down tunnels! And no there all closed of with bars! Got conned into buying the guide book! I felt fleeced, and duped that I spent £15’

‘The flint mine itself that you climb down a ladder to see is pointless not worth the energy to climb down!!’

‘I'm not sure what crack the other reviewers have been smoking but please heed my advice and give it a big miss!’
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Grimes Graves - Trip Adviser
Aug 20, 2014, 19:11
Big hole in the ground turns out to be big hole in the ground, falsely advertised as a big hole in the ground. Shocking!
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Aug 21, 2014, 16:49
I love Tripadvisor. On a previous thread I have pointed out where some reviewers have described monuments (eg The Scott Monument in Edinburgh) as "too high". The same reviewer also reviewed The Wallace Monument near Stirling (this was again "too high and the stairs were too steep") and they even reviewed the Cafe there "We didn't eat there but the food smelled nice".
I love the idea of some slightly disinterested individual "damning with faint praise" those things which simply cannot really be "reviewed". Thus the toilets in the restaurant constructed on the top of Snowdon are applauded for their "abundance of soft toilet rolls" their "powerful flush" yet castigated because the water was "too hot".
The thread on TMA before about Tripadvisor was about Bryn Cellig Dhu where reviewers descibed it as "Not Quite What We Thought We Were Getting" and - my fave - "The Stone Age house was a pretty grim place and had none of the interior stuff left like wall paintings and things. That would have been quite something but there wasn't really anything which grabbed your attention. It was quite spooky though to creep around in and it had a good atmosphere - but I definitely would not have wanted to live in here back then." Other worthies/ pedants chip in stuff like "The usual spelling of the site is Bryn Celli Ddu and it's in Anglesey which is no longer in Gwynedd." - a lovely touch I'm sure we can all agree.

Rejoice in Tripadvisor. Worship at the font of its genius. Revel in its utter plainness. Wonder at the mundane power of the computer mouse's click as someone hits "send" on their review of a Scottish mountain... "too high, the path a bit winding and a bit steep at the top. Quite a long walk too, take a packed lunch..."

Wondrous!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 26, 2014, 15:15
Trip Advisor - Avebury :

Rating - Poor

"...The circle is so large that unless you are in the air you probably won't appreciate it. The stones are just blocks here and there and scattered over a large area. If you need to choose a stone circle, obviously Stonehenge is the way to go."
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 26, 2014, 16:41
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Trip Advisor - Avebury :

Rating - Poor

"...The circle is so large that unless you are in the air you probably won't appreciate it. The stones are just blocks here and there and scattered over a large area. If you need to choose a stone circle, obviously Stonehenge is the way to go."

And there's that big scary ditch you could easily fall into :-)
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 27, 2014, 12:15
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Trip Advisor - Avebury :

Rating - Poor

A middle-aged American couple once stopped me at Avebury and asked what they were supposed to do there. "Do we just walk around?"

If I wasn't on my way home I would have offered a guided tour. Whats fair do you think, £30-40 for an hour or so, for a personal guide? Less per person if it was a small group I suppose.

I imagine it would be v easy to make money that way during the summer. It seems coach loads of people arrive and wander around on their own without a clue as to what they are looking at. I'm sure you'd be banned by the NT before you could say "crop circle calendar" if they caught you at it though.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Aug 27, 2014, 12:47
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Trip Advisor - Avebury :

Rating - Poor

A middle-aged American couple once stopped me at Avebury and asked what they were supposed to do there. "Do we just walk around?"

If I wasn't on my way home I would have offered a guided tour. Whats fair do you think, £30-40 for an hour or so, for a personal guide? Less per person if it was a small group I suppose.

I imagine it would be v easy to make money that way during the summer. It seems coach loads of people arrive and wander around on their own without a clue as to what they are looking at. I'm sure you'd be banned by the NT before you could say "crop circle calendar" if they caught you at it though.

Set yourself up a website, spam trip advisor and other similar forums. Then you just meet them off their buses and NT are none the wiser...
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 27, 2014, 13:15
juamei wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Trip Advisor - Avebury :

Rating - Poor

Set yourself up a website, spam trip advisor and other similar forums. Then you just meet them off their buses and NT are none the wiser...

I wonder if its possible just to 'pick up punters' like some prehistory prostitute just by hanging around on the path from the car park.. 'i'll give you a good experience at the stones, darlin'..' etc etc
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 27, 2014, 13:19
You'd need to check NTs bylaws. I expect they have one saying no plying a trade, but I don't recall one specifically prohibiting prostitution.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Aug 27, 2014, 13:24
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

I wonder if its possible just to 'pick up punters' like some prehistory prostitute just by hanging around on the path from the car park.. 'i'll give you a good experience at the stones, darlin'..' etc etc

"Alright mister. You look like you might like something off the beaten track if you know what I mean? Maybe a bit of a polishing stone eh eh eh? Or maybe you like a firm tall menhir?"
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index