geo tangent

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: geo tangent
May 11, 2014, 09:01
jonmor wrote:
"Difficult to say without having seen the film.

Well I confess I know zilch about the film but surely we don't need to suspend judgement on whether geocentricism is twaddle until it comes out do we?
jonmor
jonmor
150 posts

May 12, 2014, 19:21
“Well I confess I know zilch about the film but surely we don't need to suspend judgement on whether geocentricism is twaddle until it comes out do we? “

The producer of the film, a chap called Rick DeLano, has said that the film is not about Geocentrism, so it will be interesting to see if it is otherwise. However, they have used Stonehenge to illustrate classical geocentric thinking: The design speaks for itself, especially the way they have chosen to do it.

If the people of Stonehenge had developed a geocentric culture, then a few of the other monuments of that era appear to be designed for a similar purpose. However, the type of classical Geocentrism indicated at Stonehenge would have had a major flaw: One other monument, some distance away, has a design that proves it to be fundamentally wrong (though the purpose of that design appears to have been otherwise).

So Geocentrism (similar to the Ptolemaic model) shown at Stonehenge is not correct. If Stonehenge is about Geocentrism, the people at Stonehenge would have eventually found out the discrepancy by way of the other monument. This might be why it was eventually abandoned. I won't have the time to cover this in the talk but plan to develop it at some time in the future.

All the best

Jon
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 12, 2014, 20:12
“However, they have used Stonehenge to illustrate classical geocentric thinking. “
That should be a laugh , why didn’t they use something that is obviously related to classical geocentrism ? i.e. the Ptolemaic model , when Stonehenge clearly isn’t .

“If the people of Stonehenge had developed a geocentric culture” There was nothing to develop , geocentrism was a given they would have no other option .

“ However, the type of classical Geocentrism indicated at Stonehenge would have had a major flaw” Classical geocentrism involves describing the motions of the moon and planets , where are they described at Stonehenge ? There is a solstice alignment , that does not mean that the intention was to describe the motion of the sun .

“One other monument, some distance away, has a design that proves it to be fundamentally wrong” Could you clarify or provide any evidence for that ?

“This might be why it was eventually abandoned.” All prehistoric monuments were eventually “abandoned “ . There is no reason to believe it was due to cosmological discrepancies .
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 12, 2014, 22:08
jonmor wrote:
The producer of the film, a chap called Rick DeLano, has said that the film is not about Geocentrism, so it will be interesting to see if it is otherwise. However, they have used Stonehenge to illustrate classical geocentric thinking

Well as George implies, the Stonehengineers had no alternative options for thinking!

But I have to confess to further lack of understanding of all this. Are the makers of the film banging a religious drum that they themselves have a twenty first century belief that anything except the (TWO, according to QI!) moons go round the earth? If they are then, well, blimey, it'll be a daft film won't it!
jonmor
jonmor
150 posts

May 13, 2014, 19:42
“Well as George implies, the Stonehengineers had no alternative options for thinking!”

The Greeks are recorded as having had multiple explanations. Eventually this led to the Ptolemaic model. The Ptolemaic system is classical but so are the others. Most of those systems are Geocentric in nature. Some are referenced in the book.

“But I have to confess to further lack of understanding of all this. Are the makers of the film banging a religious drum that they themselves have a twenty first century belief that anything except the (TWO, according to QI!) moons go round the earth? If they are then, well, blimey, it'll be a daft film won't it!

No idea: I haven't seen the film. I am looking forward to seeing what else they have done though.

Jon
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index