Wiltshire »
...All Cannings Long Barrow...

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
timlaz
2 posts

Re: ...All Cannings Long Barrow...
Apr 06, 2014, 06:38
Hi I was just wondering if you know how to submit a new field note, I know of a round barrow in Somerset that isn't on the KML for Google earth. Just wondering if you can help? Cheers Tim
scubi63
463 posts

Apr 06, 2014, 07:48
Tim.
This may not be the quickest way but I do the following...
Select 'Browse Sites' (in the red banner at the top of the page).
Select the appropriate geographical areas as required until you get down to the county you want (ie. UK, England, Southern England and Somerset)
Select 'Add ' from the middle grey banner which gives you a drop down menu where you can then select 'Add Site'.
You then fill in all the details as required and submit it to the Ed's for approval.

:)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 09, 2014, 11:21
Updating the news... notice they are not offering cremation services in the fee...

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/11262658.Stone_Age_tomb_service_at_Pewsey_is_taking_off/
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 09, 2014, 12:24
moss wrote:
Updating the news... notice they are not offering cremation services in the fee...

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/11262658.Stone_Age_tomb_service_at_Pewsey_is_taking_off/

The thing that's missing for me here is the 'belief factor' one is led to believe prehistoric man had in being laid to rest in a barrow. We don't know what it was for sure we just assume, so are those stumping up £1,000 hoping for the same? Just asking!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 09, 2014, 12:40
I dunno... I actually think it's a really nice idea.

My issue is that the deceased aren't going to give a shite one way or the other. They'll know nothing about it. Is it all about the pose value while they're still alive? Or even for the relatives? Funeral costs are shocking... The money could be better spent on the living, IMO. Stick me in a cardboard box and chuck me in a hole for all I care. But wait till I'm dead, for preference. ;)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 09, 2014, 13:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWdT-i4GFE
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 09, 2014, 15:38
goffik wrote:
Stick me in a cardboard box and chuck me in a hole for all I care. But wait till I'm dead, for preference. ;)

G x

Oh bugger...you would go and spoil it!! :-)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jun 09, 2014, 23:40
Jun 09, 2014, 21:07
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 09:12
Thanks, tomwatts, for pointing me to this thread, and Sanctuary, for asking a sensible question!

Difficult to tell how 'sacred' the site will feel. It's aligned nicely with the winter solstice sunrise, but I don't know if the land has any sacred connections. Perhaps the sacredness will come over time, bearing in mind what it's being used for.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 09:33
Indeed. Last resting places are always sacred to those who care. But many a monument isn't a known last resting place. May I suggest "sacred site" is an over-used phrase. Mostly they are "auspicious" sites.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index