...All Cannings Long Barrow...

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Re: ...All Cannings Long Barrow...
Sep 17, 2014, 09:53
I'm guilty of over-sacreding, I think. I suppose I've used it for ceremonial sites i.e. stone circles, because of the energy I feel when I'm there, I do tend to get a bit emotional. But it's still an inaccuracy. I shall be more specific in the future!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 10:02
nigelswift wrote:
Indeed. Last resting places are always sacred to those who care. But many a monument isn't a known last resting place. May I suggest "sacred site" is an over-used phrase. Mostly they are "auspicious" sites.

The 'problem' as I see it is that we've built up this belief that our great ancestors really did believe in the Afterlife (and they may well have done) so therefore they were possibly beginning their journey from their burial place, so it became sacred. Quite understandable for then, but now?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 10:17
Incoming Traveller wrote:
I'm guilty of over-sacreding, I think. I suppose I've used it for ceremonial sites i.e. stone circles, because of the energy I feel when I'm there, I do tend to get a bit emotional. But it's still an inaccuracy. I shall be more specific in the future!

I'm rather like you IT and sort of 'play safe' and don't purposely stand on stones and the like because I do feel they were sacred to the people who built them although I appreciate that we don't know that for sure. We are all different, some people don't give a toss for our heritage and beliefs mean nothing to them as we've seen over and over. Pretty sad bunch as far as I'm concerned.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 10:59
Well I guess someone else's sacred can't be our sacred unless we claim to share their beliefs or ancestors, either or both, which some do of course, without evidence. For the rest of us, we owe them "respect" maybe.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 12:14
nigelswift wrote:
Well I guess someone else's sacred can't be our sacred unless we claim to share their beliefs or ancestors, either or both, which some do of course, without evidence. For the rest of us, we owe them "respect" maybe.

Respect certainly, after all they were our ancestors! Well as long as they weren't 'screaming savages' that is! :-)
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 14:29
In respect of my original question (in the other thread), about whether anyone was going along to the opening of the barrow, I suppose more importantly - has anyone reserved a niche for themselves? I'm a bit tempted but I have a site in West Cornwall for my ashes that means an awful lot to me.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 14:38
Personally I wouldn't want to be anywhere a tree couldn't take sustenance from me. Preferably a Buddleia. ;)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Sep 18, 2014, 15:12
nigelswift wrote:
Personally I wouldn't want to be anywhere a tree couldn't take sustenance from me. Preferably a Buddleia. ;)

I made an impromptu visit to the All Cannings Long Barrow today - it is massive. The stone work is very impressive and there are great views of Pewsey Vale although the entrance is not facing in that direction.

My choice (if I have one) will always be Uffington White Horse ... ashes scattered to the wind, metorphorically flying away on the White Horse
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index