Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Similarities elsewhere?
Apr 01, 2013, 14:12
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
There's nothing wrong with self publishing per se. Especially if you are writing stories about rabbits.

You’ll find there are plenty of self-published books on all manner of things that would otherwise go unpublished. I really don’t think you can dismiss any of them without first reading them and then, if they’re found to be at fault, for sure draw attention to those faults.

Nor do I think the ‘established’ archaeologists, researchers, publishing houses etc should have a monopoly on what gets into the public domain - whether that’s a book or a film or whatever. If that were the case we’d have no Standing with Stones video, no blogs or websites run by ‘amateurs’ – indeed perhaps not even a TMA...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 14:17
Sanctuary wrote:
Amongst the suggestions for the hole have been for a flagpole or to even drag the capstone into place by it.

Hmm... there’s a hole in the Seahenge bole that was used for dragging it into place...
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 14:19
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
"Funnily enough there is only one stone circle with lintols as well!"

Two, but both currently in the same place"?

And to suggest it as 'something new' is erroneous, as if it is a stone circle variant, it's barely a stone circle at all, a likely representation in stone of a wooden linteled circle.
To use that as an example of how there might suddenly appear a completely new tradition in portal tomb building is just typical misleading stuff, desperate connections attempted, typical self published, unreviewed fare.

I'm smiling to myself here as I had you down as the number one to stick the knife in as all of your previous posts to me have been. Nothing new there either is there. Try lightening up a bit and read the whole content before accusing me of being misleading. I'll await your order in due course :-)

"Sticking the knife in" is just the type of lurid, exaggerated response that I would expect of somebody who churns out 'books' full of wild speculation and nonsense, and indeed "sticks the knife in" regarding the archaeological community whilst standing on their shoulders.

You'll be waiting a some time. I have real books to read.

Charmed I'm sure. Written any of your own lately?

Books? Not yet. Though just writing stuff down and sending it to a printers I could do anytime I like.
Anybody can.

Songs? Yes, a number. A record label paid to have some of them recorded, manufactured and distributed!

Its not a competition, but it really does mean something when somebody wants to publish something you've done. Perhaps you can have that pleasure one day.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 14:27
Littlestone wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Amongst the suggestions for the hole have been for a flagpole or to even drag the capstone into place by it.

Hmm... there’s a hole in the Seahenge bole that was used for dragging it into place...

There was also a knotted honeysuckle rope found threaded through the hole .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 14:36
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

And to suggest it as 'something new' is erroneous, as if it is a stone circle variant, it's barely a stone circle at all, a likely representation in stone of a wooden linteled circle.
To use that as an example of how there might suddenly appear a completely new tradition in portal tomb building is just typical misleading stuff, desperate connections attempted, typical self published, unreviewed fare.

I'm smiling to myself here as I had you down as the number one to stick the knife in as all of your previous posts to me have been. Nothing new there either is there. Try lightening up a bit and read the whole content before accusing me of being misleading. I'll await your order in due course :-)

"Sticking the knife in" is just the type of lurid, exaggerated response that I would expect of somebody who churns out 'books' full of wild speculation and nonsense, and indeed "sticks the knife in" regarding the archaeological community whilst standing on their shoulders.

Books? Not yet. Though just writing stuff down and sending it to a printers I could do anytime I like.
Anybody can.

Songs? Yes, a number. A record label paid to have some of them recorded, manufactured and distributed!

Its not a competition, but it really does mean something when somebody wants to publish something you've done. Perhaps you can have that pleasure one day.

You bury yourself everytime you open your mouth. I've had 10 books published, 6 by others. Google my name, it's not secret like yours and find out. I soon learnt that you make more money publishing your own but then you wouldn't realise that because you don't research like I do.
I try not to be rude to people or inflamatory but you seem to make a habit of it with me. Give it a rest would you because I won't be respoding to your rudeness further.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 14:48
tiompan wrote:

There was also a knotted honeysuckle rope found threaded through the hole .

Yes, I know Mr t, I just couldn't remember what sort of plant it was :-)
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 14:52
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Anybody can.

You bury yourself everytime you open your mouth. I've had 10 books published, 6 by others. Google my name, it's not secret like yours and find out. I soon learnt that you make more money publishing your own but then you wouldn't realise that because you don't research like I do.
I try not to be rude to people or inflamatory but you seem to make a habit of it with me. Give it a rest would you because I won't be respoding to your rudeness further.

I'm pleased for you, that's great. You must know a bit about sheep dogs. Perhaps you should stick with it?

" I soon learnt that you make more money publishing your own but then you wouldn't realise that because you don't research like I do."

Oh dear god!
I certainly do not research 'like you do', no. lol.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 14:58
Did you not want to find out what the hole was made with before you published the book?
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2013, 15:02
Apr 01, 2013, 15:01
Littlestone wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
There's nothing wrong with self publishing per se. Especially if you are writing stories about rabbits.

You’ll find there are plenty of self-published books on all manner of things that would otherwise go unpublished. I really don’t think you can dismiss any of them without first reading them and then, if they’re found to be at fault, for sure draw attention to those faults.

Nor do I think the ‘established’ archaeologists, researchers, publishing houses etc should have a monopoly on what gets into the public domain - whether that’s a book or a film or whatever. If that were the case we’d have no Standing with Stones video, no blogs or websites run by ‘amateurs’ – indeed perhaps not even a TMA...

As I said above, (look), there's nothing wrong with self publishing per se.

It's the masquerade* I steer clear of.

*Bullshit
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 15:19
Rhiannon wrote:
Did you not want to find out what the hole was made with before you published the book?

No. It matters little what made the hole or when, it's what happened afterwards that I am writing about Rhiannon. I believe it was the making of the hole that caused the capstone to slip, but it may not have been, it may have been something else but the end result was the same. Whatever, the re-arrangement of the stones would have taken place after the capstone slipped. It went from a totally supported capstone on all uprights to one just supported by the front closure and one rear angled side flanker IMO. In doing so it went to show how efficient the keying on that angled flanker was to sustain the immense downward force of the capstone.
Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index